1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do teachers always teach the objectives?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by kzahabi53, Apr 25, 2018.

1. kzahabi53

kzahabi53 New commenter

Hi all,

I am NQT teaching in Tanzania at a UK British Curriculum School. I wanted to ask, do all teachers teach all their objectives by the end of the year? Is that EVEN possible? Bearing in mind of different ability students and students not understanding concepts?

The reason why I am bringing this up is because I have to create a Term 3 Assessment for year 4's. Can anyone give me any guidance? I'll be honest, my Fractions and measurements teaching have not been so great (simply because I haven't been guided on how to teach plus I have always hated these 2 - I am learning on the job!!!!)

I would appreciate any comment/feedback etc!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I do my best to teach all the objectives, but not all the students will learn them.

3. ladylyra

ladylyra New commenter

^ Yep. You can teach them all relatively easily but getting students to learn them all is the harder part ;) You then cover that with differentiation. My lowest are going back over the earlier objective while my highers are either covering the later ones or developing reasoning.

I had a top set maths class where I'd taught all the year's objectives by half way through term 5 (or 1/4 of a way through summer term) and the majority of them had picked them all up so we spent the last 2-3 months solely on increasingly difficult problem solving.

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Your "aims" should be covered in your scheme of work for the year. You objectives, as set out in your lesson plan, are what you intend to cover in the lesson itself, and you can check whether you have succeeded in reaching your objectives by a simple test at the end of the lesson or by question and answer, feedback. Homework also usually tests whether your objectives from this lesson have been reached. If you see that the feedback is poor, then you will need to go over the things which they've not understood again.

5. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

I would use assessments that have already been created rather than hashing out your own. At least this will then allow you to compare the achievement with other groups to see how your students compare. The white rose assessments are good and free.