1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do small dogs need to be walked?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dinx67, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Chatting about pets yesterday, I was saying how my neighbours (both sides) have dogs. They both work and have families. The family with the big bouncy boxer dog take her out for a walk 2 or 3 times a day. The other family have 2 chihuahuas and I have never, in the 6 months they have lived next door, seen them take the dogs out for a walk - I suppose they could be out and about when I haven't seen them though. I was quite surprised to find that several of my dog-owning friends and colleagues think that small dogs don't need to be taken out for a walk, a run around the garden is sufficient. Now I'm not much of a doggy person but I would have thought that any type of dog needs to be taken out for walk...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Maybe they have no legs.

3. Depends how big the garden is and where else you take them and what they do. Walking is good for exercising little doggie minds as well as legs.

4. Maybe they have one of these.
    [​IMG]

5. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Something to do with the very strong painkillers but on first glance I was sure you were asking the question: Do small dogs need to be waxed?

6. Love it!
    my hairy mutt is a small dog - not as small as a chihuahua, but still got little legs, and he walks 4 miles a day with me.

7. I can verify that they do! My cats take no end of pleasure in teasing them through their patio windows when they are inside, or from the fence-top when they are in the garden, so I suppose that gives them extra exercise.
    It's not a big back garden they have. Would boredom account for their extreme yappiness/yappyness (can't decide on a spelling for that!)?

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

You rotter.

Listen, aYorkshire terrier has the same instincts as a rottweiller - up to a point. I would fade away like Tinkerbell if I had nothing to read. A dog, whatever its size, would fade away from boredom if not given its Dog Walk.
    Dogs are natural detectives.

9. I've never even seen them outside the garden or house, not even going to the car. To be fair, I'm out most from 6.30am until teatime most weekdays so maybe she walks them during the daytime. I was really surprised at the number of dog-owners who seem to think that not taking a small dog out for a walk is okay - to me it seems cruel.

10. It certainly would.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

12. Chihuahuas tire quickly and can only manage exercise for short periods at a time.
    I think the general consensus is that a run around the garden, or even indoors in the house is sufficient.
    Exercise is only one type of stimulation that a dog needs. Almost as important is mental stimulation.
    As long as they are getting that and a run around the garden, there should not be a problem.

13. I always think it's a shame - bordering on cruelty however unintentional - when people fail to exercise their small dogs. Dogs, however tiny, are still social animals and need interaction with other dogs. A run around somewhere that isn't their garden (how boring would it be to be confined to the same old space every day of one's life??) is very good for them.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Totally agree. Small dogs need the smell factor as much as large dogs.
    Boredom is what leads to chewed knickers, as often as not. If you have a dog, you should take it for a walk.

15. Chihuahuas have specific needs. They are very small and delicate and cannot tolerate extremes of temperature, so taking them out in weather which is too warm or too cold can pose problems for them. They are also very delicate and easily injured so you need to be careful when letting them play with other dogs.
    What is more important than where the dog is exercised, is the stimulation the dog receives when being exercised.
    There are lots of ways of making a garden more stimulating and interesting for a dog. Because they are a very intelligent breed, mental stimulation is almost important than physical exercise which they can only tolerate in short bursts.
    Playing games with them in their garden, such as hide and seek etc, can be more fulfilling and more suited to the needs of a chihuahua than a walk outside.

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yes but when the weather is right and the walk is short, why should these small breeds be denied the sense of doggy otherness?
    Yes, dogs are pack animals and your family is their pack. I know thaty but I think it would be boring to a dog - however small - not to have just the littlest biut of adenture injected into their life.

17. I can appreciate a lot of that Doglover, but dogs are all 'wolves' at heart, and very sociable and to keep them apart from their own species is wrong, imo.

18. I am not saying they can't or shouldn't be walked Inky, just that it is usually not a problem if they are not.
    All breeds of dog are different, and they all have different needs.

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Treue, but they all have their essetnial dogginess, and smell is a big part of that. If you hae a garden visited by cats and foxes, fine.

20. CK, Dinx has said her neighbour has 2 chihuahuas so they are getting other doggie interaction.
    She has also said that the the owners have had them for six months, which may mean they are only pups. It is recommended that they don't start a walking etc until they are 6 months old. Because of their size and rate of growth in the first year, even short runs around the garden can be exhausting for them.
    As I said every breed has different needs, and the exercise requirements of a chihuahua is quite sepcific. They can only tolerate exercise for a short time. A walk to the end of the street and back could well be sufficient for them.