1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do SEN Teaching Assistants get paid for lunch????

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kanddd, Oct 13, 2011.

1. This happens in most schools. We are paid only for the hours that we work. Not for the time we are on the premises. Unless you are a MSA it is unlikely that you will work through the lunch-time, or unless you have to look after your named child.

2. I have never worked in any job in any sector which has paid me for lunch break - nor have I ever known anyone else be paid for it either. If you have to work with a particular child during the lunch hour then you should be given another (unpaid) break later to make up for it.

3. Been a Teaching Assistant for over ten years and have never been paid for lunchtime. TAs at my school have half an hour lunch (unpaid) because they are all classroom TAs and spend the other half hour doing planning and preparation.
    We do not have any SEN TAs at our school so don't know whether you can ask for half an hour lunch and finish earlier. I am guessing that your Head wants you to take on the extra hours so that you are with spending as much time with your child as possible.

4. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

No one in any job gets paid to take time off work and eat their lunch - sorry but the question is a bit bizarre - you've told us how many hours you work and that seems to be pretty much what you are paid for - what's the problem?
    If you want to be paid for 40 hours a week you have to work something like 8.00 - 5.00 (having an hour off for lunch)

5. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

This is quite normal.Only children requiring support at lunchtime would have paid support. Unless the child needs help to eat there lunch, is in a wheelchair or has severe behavioural problems they would not have support at lunchtime.Therefore as others have said you do not get paid.Full time was 32.5 hrs but now 28.5 hrs is more likely so you are doing rather well if this is you first position and you have 22 hrs.