1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do schoos need Assistant Headteachers?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by September, Sep 17, 2017.

1. September

September New commenter

Can schools survive with just a Headteacher and a Deputy Headteacher? Would the money spent on Assistant Head teachers not be better spent on more teachers.

install likes this.
  2. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

small school, yes; large secondary probably not. Even back 30 or so years ago most large schools may well have had head, one or even 2 deputies, plus "senior teacher" (aka assistant head)

3. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

In some smaLl primaries that are multiple asst heads... I think it's all a bit odd and I'm sure there's a direct correlation between staff stress and the number of asst heads who are out of class 'demanding' X,Y and Z. I also think it leads to lots of 'finding problems' that they then have to solve in order to prove their jobs worth. I also think lots lead by what they say and not what they do.

So yes, I think they could survive and probably be much happier.

4. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Do schools need ass heads? No.

Give admin jobs to admin staff. Let teachers teach.

5. install

install Star commenter

Depends what the Ahts/ deputies and ht do:cool:

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Some schools have two teaching AHs instead of a non-teaching DH.

A small village school near here has recently saved money by appointing an AH when the senior teacher left. A low level on the leadership scale is less than UPS3+ the top TLR.

7. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

Absolutely not.

Most of the jobs ass heads do is redundant. They also need to justify their jobs so they come up with the latest gimmicky idea to improve something however, it has no real value and only increases workload.

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  8. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

A leadership team, however it is made up, should be better than a single Headteacher as it becomes harder (but not impossible) for one individual to dominate as well as providing some checks and balances for any initiatives. As to the number of people in the team, that depends on the size of the school. Some schools have ridiculously large SLTs where it is hard to see the value added by each member as well as blurring the lines of responsibility.