1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do schools want part-timers?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by hhhh, Apr 10, 2016.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Genuinely interested-used to be that when a post was advertised as full-time, schools were happy to receive inquiries from those who wanted pt and often 'came to an arrangement' with different candidates. Over my career, I sometimes worked part-time due to family, and thought it was helpful for the school, as I could sometimes work extra hours to cover sickness etc. Equally, once went for a college job advertised as part-time-during the interview they offered me ft if I was prepared to teach another subject as well; this suited me and the college brilliantly. Particularly in colleges or unis, numbers for different courses might vary each year, so would have thought some flexibility was good?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I believe that this is so, and would always be happy to mix-and-match if these were the best candidates.

Because that's where the issue is - you do need to be able to select the best candidate for any post, and if the one who is head and shoulders above the others is a FT applicant for a FT post, there's no question who will get it.

And the point that you make about subject flexibility, @hhhh , is a very good one.

Any candidate who can offer flexibility can be a good find!

Best wishes

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

In an 11-16 school, it often works out that the number of hours of maths teaching required adds up to one teacher less than the number of sets per year. That means that if the department are all full-timers, it isn't possible to set across an entire year group. Hence having a couple of part-timers (or a part-timer and an SLT member/somebody who teaches two subjects) is a positive advantage.

On the other hand, for a subject with three or more lessons a week, timetabling a part-timer who is only working on three days means split classes. So the part-timer who is willing to have their three days split across four (or even five) days will have a huge advantage over the one who wants three full days. So if you're applying, it's worth indicating if you can be flexible - unfortunately, if you have childcare to pay for, you probably can't. I've done 0.6/0.75/0.28 across five days, and it suited me fine, as I wasn't paying for childcare (and all the jobs were local). I was the sole teacher of almost all groups I taught.

4. install

install Star commenter

Part timers ? There's no such thing. Many of them still work at home on days when they are not paid....

fly, gadgetgirl123 and reddevil like this.
  5. Cparham

Cparham New commenter

I'd be interested to know when you would broach the question of part time? I've approached a few schools advertising for jobs and asked if they would consider part time. Whilst some have been vaguely positive about this in a pre application visit, none have led to me being shortlisted. When I was applying as full time I tended to get shortlisted for jobs - I'm trying to be upfront - rather than spring it on them at interview. But I guess perhaps I should be applying first then raising this issue later....

6. dancinginthecity

dancinginthecity New commenter

I have decided to apply for some posts which are advertised as full-time and to put on my personal statement that I would only accept the job if I could work on a part time/job share basis.There are so few part time vacancies advertised but I have spoken to several teachers recently who want to reduce their hours from full time or who are returning after being at home caring for families full time and want to return to teaching part-time so I imagine there is a lot of competition for those jobs. Also some of those teachers have said they are applying for full-time posts but stating that they want part-time.
    Having worked part-time and being a great teacher who loved her job, I moved to full time for a year and became a stressed teacher who wasn't able to give to the children (or the school) what I felt they needed. I know I can do a far better job part time and so will now only be applying to work part time.
    I am hoping that lots of teachers apply for advertised full time posts and request to be considered part time and then there is more chance that my applications will be matched with someone looking for the same as me.

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I would be upfront. I've usually contacted the school and asked if they would consider a part-timer, and answers have ranged from "no" or "only if you apply with a jobshare partner" to "it depends what applications we get" or a straight yes.

I saw the HoD from the school who said "only if you apply with a jobshare partner" the next term, and he was horrified I'd been turned away - he said that if he'd been asked, he'd have said that I should apply - so perhaps it is worth putting in an application even if they do sound discouraging.
    The funniest one was the school that said no, but they had a 0.6 post they would be advertising shortly. I said that 0.6 was too much for me - I didn't want more than 0.3, and didn't apply. Then they rang me up to ask me to come to interview. I repeated my constraints, and they told me that was okay (and please could I bring an application form on the day). I do have the advantage of teaching a shortage subject.

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Currently advertising for a 0.4 permanent teacher. I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of interest that is being shown.

9. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I'm surprised that you're surprised! Unless, that is, it's going to be 0.4 scattered randomly through the week. Even then, for someone who lives reasonably close, and whose other commitments are flexible, it may work.

10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

just beware of accepting part time pay for what can turn into full time commitment!

11. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

We are also advertising for a 0.4 teacher. We have had a lot of interest and applications.

12. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

Just like full-timers then...

13. Deirds

Deirds Established commenter

Need to be careful though. I accepted a 0.5 job and was timetabled for 0.75. Managed to get pay up to 0.6 but was not a happy bunny. Especially as I had been promised a timetable confined to 3 days but got a 4 day timetable.