1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do schools usually provide support for those it has made redundant?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by janie k, Jun 24, 2015.

1. In January our school received a 188 notice following which seven of us have been made redundant. For a primary school of approximately 300 children this is quite a large proportion. Although correct procedure was seen to have taken place regarding redesigning the new staff structure, there has been no support for any of his who were unsuccessful . Our head teacher is rarely to be seen and the governors, one of whom is specifically for staff and pupil welfare, are nowhere to be seen. We were all emailed a generic redeployment form but it turns that this is no longer valid. Is this lack of support normal? The lack of support has sadly served to make a tough situation even tougher.

2. Brucetta

Brucetta New commenter

I was made redundant alongside five others a few years back. I got my union involved for advice and they were supportive. Although they were not able to do anything, having someone to fight my corner and to reassure me that things had been done fairly and by the book was helpful.

I had one meeting with the head, governors and someone from the LEA (who spent the meeting swinging on his chair!) and the only outcome really was that they would put me on a list should any jobs within the county become available so that I could apply for.

I really do feel for you it was a horrible position to be in.