1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do schools ever fly you out for an interview?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by T0nyGT, Oct 8, 2019.

1. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Just wondered. Does it ever happen or is everything Skype based now, even for the highly competitive tier 1 schools?

Class teacher I mean, not SLT

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

There are those on this board who claim to have seen it, but I’ve never once heard such a thing from anyone I knew personally, after more than 25 years in international schools.
    If it ever happened, I think the day is past.
    For teachers. Not leadership.

576 and T0nyGT like this.
  3. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

I was flown out for an interview. Only to mainland Europe from the UK though. 6 years ago.

yasf likes this.
  4. yasf

yasf Established commenter

It's happened to me twice. Had friends flown to SE Asia from the UK, and others to the Gulf from China. Tends to be schools with money that do it.

dumbbells66 and T0nyGT like this.
  5. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Last happened to me in 2007. Twice long haul, both considered to be desirable schools.

Since then all Skype interviews, apart from one where I changed school within the same country as I was working so flew to the other city for an interview, school paid, but I was the only one they interviewed in person.

6. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I was flown out to The Netherlands in 2016. Then in 2017 a German school offered to fly me out, but I accepted a job in Spain (via Skype). We then flew out a teacher to Spain for an interview last year. So, it still happens.

7. steluta

steluta New commenter

Yes, IB School in Switzerland.

8. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

Yes, recently to Europe

9. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

Yes, to Europe

10. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

It's happened to me a few times (all in the last ten years - the most recent last year to Europe); mostly there was a preliminary interview via Skype and then I was invited over. It made me realise how important it was to go and see a school/location in real life if you're taking the leap to live there!

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

This has to be a first...i have never known gulfgolf to be wrong before

12. Unconventional33

Unconventional33 New commenter

I'm surprised it's not a thing at Tier 1 schools. Nowadays in my state, the hiring process at most districts requires you to go in and do a demo lesson. Straight out of college, I would have been mortified and can only imagine what a lousy lesson I would have put on considering the insane expectations they have of teachers here now. Luckily when I was straight out of college, that wasn't so much a thing.

spanboy likes this.
  13. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Am I working in the wrong schools?

14. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I hate the idea of demo lessons - they're a false representation of what you can do. Yes, I can see some value to them, but in general you have no rapport with the kids - you don't know them or their needs in terms of differentiation etc, and they don't know you, and in many cases are reluctant to answer questions in front of the member(s) of SLT who is/are sat in the room observing you.

15. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

I've never seen it for anything other than Head of School/Director positions in schools I have been in.

Personally I was flown in for a week after accepting a leadership position, in order to smooth the transition for the next year.

16. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I was offered a flight to a school in Germany for an interview but I had already accepted my current position before the offer was made - that was getting on towards 10 years ago now though.

17. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

As someone who has interviewed many times (I'm a HoD) it's the demo lessons that make or break whether an applicant would be hired: whilst I appreciate all the points you make (and it is a very 'false' and pressured thing), despite all the teething problems and ICT issues that are inherent in this situation, what we're actually looking for is how a candidate interacts with the students - how they talk to them, their body language, how they deal with queries or issues that crop up in the moment - are they comfortable in a classroom? Can they adapt? You can actually tell who can or can't teach - the resources and lesson plan are almost immaterial (although again it's telling what a candidate selects or considers challenging etc.) but the demo shows if a candidate has a natural aptitude for the classroom/working with young people. Candidates can blag an interview and BS their way through an application form - but the demo lesson is where they put the money where their mouth is.

Believe me - I say all this having also been on the receiving end of many delivering many demo lessons so I know how problematic they can be!

mermy and tb9605 like this.
  18. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I agree with this. I know people who sound slick in an interview and could easily impress with their knowledge but when it comes to teaching a class it all melts away and they just can't convey any passion for their subject.

19. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I think a demo lesson has its place, but having been the victim of them in the past it doesn't always work! I did one as a supply teacher where I actually knew the kids - this sounds great, but it meant that the interviewer's expectations were higher than they were for other candidates as neither the kids nor the environment were unfamiliar. I also did one which was interrupted after 10 minutes by a phone call from the office asking for one pupil, and then another 5 minutes later by the deputy head looking for two other kids. Had I actually wanted the job I might have protested but by that stage I knew it was the wrong school for me. (Neither of these were international, I should add.)

I'd be skeptical too if I was interviewing and someone sent a video lesson. Maybe it's just me, but if I was filming myself for an interview I would make sure that (a) it was my best class, (b) that they knew they had to cooperate, and (c) it was a lesson I'd done dozens of times. In that situation it's not really worth anything more than the glossy CV or brochure some people write about themselves for the Search fairs.

20. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I got flown to Geneva a while ago now and given a nice hotel. But I was already in Europe so it wasn’t far.