1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

do school need to notify parents?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, Jun 17, 2015.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

My daughter saw my granddaughter out and about with the rest of her class in the local area today. Granted they were in groups but she saw one group running across the road. My daughter asked the teacher at home time why they were not informed that the children were going to be out of school and was met with a frosty reply that the school didn't have to notify parents every time children were being taken out of school.

My daughter is not happy about this as she accompanied an atrociously organised school trip at Christmas, now this and her daughter is due to go on an overnight residential trip next week. She is in year 3.

What do you think?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ask to see the school policy on consent. It may be that you signed a blanket consent for 'local' trips at the start of the year.

3. For local visits during the school day, primary schools rarely inform parents. Your daughter may well have been asked to sign a blanket permission for this as part of the admission paperwork. This is common practice in my experience. It means that, for example, a teacher plans a local visit and then it rains, they can postpone to another day without having to get further permission from parents. (but no excuse for a frosty response to a polite enquiry!)

Now this is a concern. There are clear practices which should be in place for crossing a road. 2 adults stopping traffic and the group/class crossing between them. Running is unacceptable.

In what respect?

Ask to see the risk assessments. They should be in place for all trips (including informal ones as discussed initially).

4. angiebabe

I asked my daughter about blanket consent form but she is sure she hasn't signed one. She has found school policy online and it clearly states that parents will be informed if children are to be off school premises but that this may not warrant an actual consent form. She has checked recent school newsletters too.

The atrocious school outing she went on was when the children were being herded around and some of them dragged across a car park on a visit to a music festival - more went on but I can't remember the details. She asks my opinion because she knows I will view it from the teacher's side and then she can try to get a more balanced understanding. She works quite a lot with the school and for a short while was a temporary TA in my school before she was married and had children.

As for risk assessments she believes they are just pieces of paper which the school has to fill in but not necessarily a true reflection of what might happen.

She has a meeting with the Headteacher tomorrow. For me (and I know this is how she also feels) we drop our children off at school and we believe they are in a safe environment. Yes, they can fall or have disagreements but we don't worry about 'where' they are. This has made me, and her, quite uncomfortable, especially with the overnight trip coming up.

5. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

Safeguarding?

6. RUFree

RUFree New commenter

We have to have parental consent to take children off the school premises even if it just to the church. Down the road or the local park.

We also have to have a food consent form to give any child any kind of food or sweets.

Wouldn't be happy taking children across roads without parental knowledge at least.

Your daughter has a valid point I think

Ruf

7. angiebabe

Thank you for all the replies.

8. They are just that , but they must be adhered to in practice because, if the worst happened (and it could on the best planned trips) then the school would have to prove they followed it. If there is no RA or recommendations were not followed, then the school would be liable and in deep trouble.

Maybe when she first started at the school which could have been in Reception.

I am sure the headteacher will follow this up with staff and be very grateful that it has been brought to his/her attention.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We used to issue the blanket consent at the start of each year. Maybe it was one of those 'if we don't hear from you we shall take that as assent' deals?

I would expect school staff to be able to take kids out safely. I like kids to get out and about. Safely.

10. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

We take children out to the local woods. We put a notice up asking for volunteer helpers, but we don't actually ask parents/carers if we can take their children. For trips further afield, such as our summer trip to a farm or theme park, we do ask for written permission to take children.

We do risk assessments for all trips/visits though and that would cover how we cross roads.

11. bumchuckle

bumchuckle Occasional commenter

Does this mean had they sent a note home your daughter would have refused permission for her child to go?

If not, if she had signed, what difference to the day would it have made?