1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do school leaders understand the government guidelines well enough?

Discussion in 'News' started by Lisa_c, Jul 18, 2020.

1. lamnchill

lamnchill New commenter

I developed a mystery rash, 8 days ago (sat), at this point, it was not advertised as a symptom. Went to school, Thursday, informed them of said rash, as that morning the new symptom was highlighted in the media, and was asked to return home. Checked NHS testing- too late to bother as 6 days+ from symptom start. School have directed me to test! Not requested, directed, and told me that government advice says I should not tell any colleagues or students, that I have been in contact with, unless I get a positive result- unlikely given the late test.
    This is contrary to the gov advice online and made me wonder if other school leaders are putting people at risk due to not understanding the guidance.

Attached Files:

agathamorse likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why on earth did you go to work with a 'mystery rash' anyway? Even in normal circumstances that would be a risky thing to do.

The school guidance is (Bold is mine):
    If anyone in the school becomes unwell with a new, continuous cough or a high temperature, or has a loss of, or change in, their normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia), they must be sent home and advised to follow ‘stay at home: guidance for households with possible or confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection’, which sets out that they must self-isolate for at least 7 days and should arrange to have a test to see if they have coronavirus (COVID-19).

Any members of staff who have helped someone with symptoms and any pupils who have been in close contact with them do not need to go home to self-isolate unless they develop symptoms themselves (in which case, they should arrange a test) or if the symptomatic person subsequently tests positive (see below) or they have been requested to do so by NHS Test and Trace.

So looks like your school are fine and are simply trying to avoid mass panic among staff and pupils/parents.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. lamnchill

lamnchill New commenter

I went to school as I had a small, localized hives type rash! I would not call in sick for such, ‘even under normal circumstances’ I was on my way to school when the news came out that rashes could be a symptom. I didn’t even enter the building. However, that is missing the point of my post. The government guidelines, which I attached say something different.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The government guidance to schools, which I quoted, say your school has done nothing wrong.

5. botanybod

botanybod New commenter

Which guidelines do you think they're in contravention of? It isn't clear from your post what you think they've done wrong?