1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do root canals hurt?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Findlotte, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

I'm having one next month and as the date draws closer I'm beginning to worry about what actually happens and how much after-pain and discomfort I'll be in (23rd Dec. I would like to eat over Christmas)

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

After the root canal you'll need to have the tooth capped to seal it properly.

The basic answer though is Yes

3. Findlotte

They're doing the root canal and the filling/crown on the same day. It's a 2h appointment. :(

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

When I had a root canal done it hurt rather more before any treatment started and a lot less afterwards. There was some discomfort as the anaestetic wore off, but on the whole I was a lot happier afterwards than beforehand. I would say you'll be up for food on Christmas Eve!
    Hope it goes well
    P

Quitoon likes this.
  5. Findlotte

Thanks!
    The annoying thing is, since my check-up, I haven't had any tooth ache at all.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

No. It doesn't hurt at all. They will give you an injection so you won't feel anything. When the anaesthetic wears off, it might feel a bit uncomfortable where the needle went in. But apart from that you should be fine.

ScotSEN and needabreak like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You can't have the crown fitted on the same day because the crown usually has to be made separately and then it has to be measured up and adjusted before being glued in place .An impression has to be done before the crown is made.

The 2h appointment will be to complete the root canal and then put on the filling which will be the foundation for the crown.

I had one done a couple of years ago - it was fine and I've had no problems since.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My experience has been to suffer some discomfort during the procedure because it takes some time - hard to say but I suppose 20 mins max - and my mouth would get tired. Depending on how much anaesthetic they put in - my man was good at poking about and putting loads in - the site of the injection might be sore for a few days. As the nerve is removed there shouldn't be any tooth pain afterwards. It's not fun but should be manageable.

if you're having a crown fitted it will take longer and more than one appointment as the other poster has said.

Sorry, your other comment hadn't shown when I started my reply.

Quitoon likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've had it once. It didn't hurt at all, but the sensation of what I imagined to be a wire brush removing the nerve wasn't pleasant. Once the anaesthetic wore off and the numbness with it, only the memory remained. You'll be fine over Christmas.

ScotSEN likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Probably because the nerve has died or the infection (which causes the nerve to go) has cleared up.

Be aware if the nerve has gone then the tooth will be very brittle so don't go munching any peanuts on it until you get it done.

11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Not if it is done well and the anaesthetic is effective since they are removing the nerves in the pulp part of the tooth that transmits the pain you shouldn't feel anything afterwards except perhaps as Lascarina pointed out at the injection site/s.

Hope it goes well and gives you relief. (Usually hurts a lot more before *hence needing the work, so you will probably be very relieved)

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No, the tooth will be brittle until the nerve has been formally removed - what you have is essentially a dead tooth.

That's what you need the crown for.

They use a different type of pain killing injection for RCs, it's better than the traditional one you get for fillings and it doesn't leave so much discomfort afterwards.

How do I know all this - I have an excellent dentist who talks a lot (don't they all)

13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I've had root canals several times - twice on my front tooth that was broken in a childhood accident (once when I first had the accident, then 20 years later to upgrade the crown for cosmetic reasons) and twice on two different back molars. I've never found them to be painful at all. Not pleasant, admittedly, but having someone else's hands in your mouth is not generally a pleasant experience anyway! Didn't really hurt afterwards, though I did manage to bite through my tongue after one once and only realised when I tasted blood, so if they tell you not to eat for a while afterwards, best to listen to them!

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But Quitoon will be fine for Xmas dinner!

Quitoon likes this.
  15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I had 3 teeth out rather than have root canal work - and then when I actually had one I wished I'd been braver. Now have had 2 done, and it honestly didn't hurt at all (apart from the initial injections which I always have).

ScotSEN likes this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

No. Not if they numb you properly. It's not pleasant but I didn't understand the fuss people make.

17. needabreak

As I understand it the fuss might be about possibility of infection, particularly among people who have been ill or are vulnerable to illness.

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Not the people I meant. They were just talking it up - a bit like when pupils get vaccinations.

needabreak likes this.
  19. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Oh definitely! I meant like 10 minutes after you walk out of the dentists while you're still numb!

Just remembered, a top tip is to make sure you have tissues after. Depending on how much of your face they knock out, there may well be dribbling issues until your nerves wake up again. Or maybe that's just me... :confused:

20. needabreak

I remember those dribbling issues, I made the sad mistake of going to the local shops afterwards and several people thought I had been on the booze! o_O;)