1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do Rains Cause Forest Fires?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Jul 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I've spent the first days of this week sorting out my poor damaged back. Being tall, it is a constant problem and I'm working on the cause so I don't spend my old age crippled and broken.

Firstly, I've adjusted the seat in the car so my knees are lower than my hips. For years I've driven around in cars with the driver's seat right back and the back reclined to a point where I'm heading towards horizontal. Few cars can accommodate my height and I've probably done myself a lot of damage being so far back from the steering wheel. Now I'm bolt upright and over the steering wheel and not hitting those corners at the speed I'm used to. That's the compromise.

Then I've raised my sofas by taking off the bun feet and screwing 3x3 all around the bases and refitting the bun feet. Now my knees are in line with my hips. This is an improvement.

I'm back on the powerful painkillers for the sciatic nerve. Without the painkillers I'm feeling like my shin has smashed into a piece of angle iron and I can't stand up without hanging onto the furniture.

The nerve pain is all over the place. Sometimes down my femur, at other times in my calf and then in the shin. Strange!

Within an hour of the painkillers being taken I'm climbing over the back fence and mowing the lawn.

But, what I'm really after is some big sofas that are higher than the standard ones and I've had a desk made that is very tall. I've had all the x rays and tests and it's just that darn nerve that get's trapped.

But I'm keen to beat it because I'm seeking all the causes and eliminating them one by one. It's mainly furniture. It's too darn small -like the cars.

Those base units in kitchens are another hassle. Washing up is a right pain -literally.

Why is everything right down there?

Anyone know of any higher sofas than standard ones or do I have to shell out for more tailor-made furniture?

I reckon I'm 6ft 4 in tall and it's cool for painting ceilings but not for finding furniture.

Not that any of my activities are to blame. It's just when I sit down on any standard chairs.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

You can raise all kitchen units and appliances by up to 10". More if you use heavier fittings
    There are kits available and plans.
    The same a applies to most furniture but there are also custom-built chairs sofas etc.
    Check using a search engine

That's all fine if you have your own house but when renting you not only have to get your landlord to agree but also, in most cases, arrange for all fittings to be "unadapted" when you leave.

I have a friend who at just over 6' 7" had to do this for a similar reason.
    The doorways remained a permanent problem

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

After a serious car accident the private physic I was sent to gave me (the at fault driver paid) a lumbar back room for driving. She told me driving was one of the worst things for a back - she also told me that a rolled up hand towel would serve as well. (You know like the ones we would roll our "bathers" up in going home from the baths) Until I got a car with a lumbar back adjusting eat I always drove with my back room in my lumbar region to lend support. I recommend that you try it.

As I have always been tall - till I started to shrink anyway - I too found things a problem....
    I think your furniture problem will need just loads of test driving. We suffer from the modern fashion of having low slung furniture..... My current settee is a power recliner and is pretty high off the floor.... the downside is that it has low arm rests so is pretty rubbish to lie across.... something I didn't think to test drive in the store. Ah well you live and learn. My friend who I accompanied to IKEA to get his new furniture for his new house....paid no heed at all to comfort - preferring style and design above all else. I thought him bonkers...but then he is of a more average height and is of slight build.

My cousin - who is 6'5 had a Volkswagen beetle type car..... think he must have been ok with it with his height. He also rode classic motorbikes till he had a fall when racing and his superintendent (he was a policeman) made him an offer he couldn't refuse and he jacked it in. He was a motorcycle policeman for years in the Luton and Beds force. I always thought him too tall to ride and certainly race bikes.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The only solution I know for the car problem is to buy a good modern commercial van. The adjustments available are far superior in range to most cars and the ergonomics are far better to start off with

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Many modern sofas are just horrible to sit on anyway. I refuse to sit on the one at my mum's and wondered how she managed until I realised she only ever lies on it with her feet up. Most websites give you a height for the seat. If you know what height your knees are, you can find furniture to suit but it's probably going to be a "granny" style chair or sofa.

Washing up - use a basin on the worktop rather than the sink. You can also get chopping boards which have little folding legs which give you a little more height.