1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do primary classroom teacher posts have to be advertised?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Trapin1, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

I'd be grateful for any opinions, thoughts about my current situation:
    I qualified last year and managed to secure a fixed term supply contract at my final placement school until the end of this academic year. I've always though of it as being an opportunity for the head to guage my suitability for the permanent post which is to be advertised at Easter. She told me at the outset that she really thought that the post was more suited to a more experienced teacher (largely, I think because it is a year 5/6 class and results have been poor for some years). My own background (I'm a very mature NQT with lots of experience in other walks of life) includes 7 years as a TA working in a year 6 class, so I know the curriculum very well. I took over in January and was left no medium or long-term planning and a classroom that was more akin to a local refuse site. The children's last assessed writing had not been levelled and there was no medium or long-term planning. I've worked really hard to fill in the gaps in their learning (and there are plenty) and I've spent hours of my free time before school, after school and in the christmas and February holidays making my classroom look good. I also voluntarily run an after-school booster class for the year 6 children and attend extra-curricular activities such as swimming galas and discos(unpaid). Feedback from the head and other members of staff is that I'm doing a good job and that the class, which does have some challenging children, seems more settled.
    I love it at this school and would really like to stay, but it's recently dawned on me that if she wanted to, the head could just offer me the job without advertising it couldn't she? That said, I know there are lots of posts on other TES forums about people wasting their time applying for jobs which are already spoken for, so why are the jobs advertised?
    My dilemma now is whether to apply for other jobs that are starting to appear locally or to hang on and apply for my job.

Your opinions/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

I'd be grateful for any opinions, thoughts about my current situation:
    I qualified last year and managed to secure a fixed term supply contract at my final placement school until the end of this academic year. I've always though of it as being an opportunity for the head to guage my suitability for the permanent post which is to be advertised at Easter. She told me at the outset that she really thought that the post was more suited to a more experienced teacher (largely, I think because it is a year 5/6 class and results have been poor for some years). My own background (I'm a very mature NQT with lots of experience in other walks of life) includes 7 years as a TA working in a year 6 class, so I know the curriculum very well. I took over in January and was left no medium or long-term planning and a classroom that was more akin to a local refuse site. The children's last assessed writing had not been levelled and there was no medium or long-term planning. I've worked really hard to fill in the gaps in their learning (and there are plenty) and I've spent hours of my free time before school, after school and in the christmas and February holidays making my classroom look good. I also voluntarily run an after-school booster class for the year 6 children and attend extra-curricular activities such as swimming galas and discos(unpaid). Feedback from the head and other members of staff is that I'm doing a good job and that the class, which does have some challenging children, seems more settled.
    I love it at this school and would really like to stay, but it's recently dawned on me that if she wanted to, the head could just offer me the job without advertising it couldn't she? That said, I know there are lots of posts on other TES forums about people wasting their time applying for jobs which are already spoken for, so why are the jobs advertised?
    My dilemma now is whether to apply for other jobs that are starting to appear locally or to hang on and apply for my job.

Your opinions/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No they don't. There is no legal requirement for any posts other than leadership posts to be advertised.
    Any HT worth his or her salt will advertise in order to attempt to get the best available candidate unless, for some reason, he or she is convinced that the best candidate is already working at the school.
    This has to be your decision and yours alone. To be honest, this is not something on which Joe Public on an Internet forum can advise you.

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Why not speak to the head as they may have chaned their opinion over the year. Sometimes they want an experienced teacher though because they have a lot of less experienced teachers and want to balance their staff or because they are considering extending the smt team in the future. You wont know unless you speak to them. If you start applying to other jobs it may provide the prompt the head needs.

5. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Actually, not even leadership post have to be leagally advertised now! I've posted about this recently
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/471321.aspx
    However, I'd agree that any HT worth his or her salt will advertise in order to attempt to get the best available candidate unless, for some reason, he or she is convinced that the best candidate is already working at the school.

6. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Arrgh!

7. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Thanks for all replies.....I'm going to give some thought to speaking to her about it.

8. Hi there, we appointed someone last year on a short term maternity cover contract. That person went off sick very shortly into the term and a wonderful supply teacher from an agency (who just happened to also be NQT) came in to fill the place. Since that time, another member of staff has recently got a job elsewhere leaving us with a vacancy. I checked with HR and as we also had another long-term supply teacher in school, I was advised to advertise the job internally. Interviews are being held this week, the only applicant is the NQT and hopefully they will shortly be a part of the team. I would definitely speak to your head, I certainly wouldn't want to lose someone as hard working and conscientious as yourself. Best of luck!

9. You might want to go for some interviews at other places to get some interview practice? Talk to your head though.

10. Trapin1

Trapin1 New commenter

Thanks Erica 6677 and Sideshow. I might have a word with my head teacher but know she can't really give anything away. I get on really well with her and have received fantastic feedback from rest of the staff, children and their parents alike(just had parents evening) but still cannot understand why, if she's so impressed with me, that she'd bother advertising my job. My gut feeling (combined with little comments she's made over the past few months) is that she'd really like a male teacher (we're entirely female - caretaker too) and many of our children are from single parent families, but she's unlikely to admit to that. I'm just going to have to sit it out and wait. I don't want to go for other interviews (not that there are many currently) because I'd hate to be offered a job then have to decline it because I really want to stay where I am. I'm just going to have to leave it to fate, I guess.