1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do people with science backgrounds think these could work?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 7eleven, Sep 22, 2018.

1. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

don't see why not, they look similar to the jellies that marathon runners carry.

As the nurse said, grapes would do the same job, but it maybe that these jelly drops could be modified slightly for different needs and address specific vitamin and mineral deficiencies as well??

3. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Yes, apparantly the inventor is working on adding vitamins and minerals to them.

4. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Something like £20 for 12, so the price is going to have to come down to be really viable I would think.

phlogiston likes this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

If the price was halved they would be comparable to sports jellies.. These are from Decatholon, cheaper, and larger, but not by all that much

upload_2018-9-22_10-1-42.png

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Despite the above comparison, the video says she ate seven of them at once which is the equivalent fluid of "a glass of water". That works out at more than £5 for the same hydration as from a glass of water.
    How is that viable in any shape or form?!

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

What size is a 'glass of water' in comparison to the required volume needed daily?

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Are sports jellies serving a different population?

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It isn't, but it's a novel idea, which if found to work, could be taken up by the big boys to bring the cost down to an affordable sum.

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

how much would it cost to transport her to hospital and put her on a drip?

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My mum went through increasingly frequent phases of refusing anything by mouth. She always ended up on a drip until a decision was made not to do it anymore as her quality of life was so poor anyway. I don't think she would even have taken jellies at that point although previously she would sometimes eat grapes.

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I cannot see 7 of these is similar to a glass of water, and they are very expensive.
    Would my Mum have eaten them?.....................only if she remembered is the sad answer.

phlogiston likes this.
  13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

From the size of what I saw, they are more likely to boost sugar and electrolyte levels rather than water levels. I would have thought that developing a high water jelly that you eat like a pudding would be a more cost effective way of introducing more water.
    The method I used with a neighbour who was similarly dehydrated was when she asked for a "spritzer" was do make the drink (with less alcohol than she wanted) but dip my finger in the wine or brandy and bub it round the rim of the glass. Once she'd had a couple of alcoholic sips, she finished the rest happily.

dunnocks likes this.