1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do people want a job or not?!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by iamthewalrus, Feb 6, 2012.

1. How many applicants would you expect to get for a full time maternity cover post (primary)?
    We are an inner city school, and recently advertised for a post, and got only six applicants. We shortlisted four on the evening of the closing date and sent out emails inviting to interview as well as calling on the phone. By this morning, of the four we had chosen to interview, one had changed their mind, one had got an interview on the same day, and one said they had a prior commitment, and could they come a different day.
    I've since called the other two applicants, one who no longer fancies the idea and one hasn't answered their phone or replied to emails!!! Is it me or have other heads had a similar experience? And there was me thinking there was a shortage of jobs going round......

2. How many applicants would you expect to get for a full time maternity cover post (primary)?
    We are an inner city school, and recently advertised for a post, and got only six applicants. We shortlisted four on the evening of the closing date and sent out emails inviting to interview as well as calling on the phone. By this morning, of the four we had chosen to interview, one had changed their mind, one had got an interview on the same day, and one said they had a prior commitment, and could they come a different day.
    I've since called the other two applicants, one who no longer fancies the idea and one hasn't answered their phone or replied to emails!!! Is it me or have other heads had a similar experience? And there was me thinking there was a shortage of jobs going round......

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Unlucky I feel.... In the same token a colleague travelled over 100 miles to attend an interview only to be told 25 minutes after arriving, all prepared and ready that there wasn't really a job there to be filled..... Hummmm.

4. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

This seems rather unusual- in some parts of the country there are supposedly hundreds of applicants for each primary post. I wonder if it's to do with the area of the country where the school is (ie perhaps it's a particularly expensive area to live)?! Dare I say it, but could it even be to do with the school? Don't mean to offend anyone, but some people might be put off applying based on a school's reputation (sometimes even if a school had a bad reputation years ago and has since considerably improved). The mind boggles as to why this could be!

5. All interesting stuff Rockchick, but hopefully the bit about the school isn't true!! We've had good at our last 3 Ofsteds, with the last one being last term, so no worries for anyone hoping to avoid an inspection for a year!! Maybe the advert was rubbish, I don't know!! I think I'll stick my next one on here before publishing it - I'm not yet well versed in the secrets of a good advert!! And as for being in an expensive area, a 3 bed semi nearby sells for about £180k - Mayfair we are not!

6. And in my next post, I will attempt to use absolutely no exclamation marks whatsoever........

7. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

I think part of the difficulty is that it's a maternity cover - ie not a permanent contract, possible start date not coinciding with usual teacher resignation / start dates etc. I've had lots of maternity covers and have experienced a similar situation. That said, we have found some fabulous teachers that way also. Frustrating as it is, try again - you never know who's out there!

8. We recently advertised a maternity cover post and received 7 applications, 5 of which were good quality, shortlisted the strongest 3 and successfully appointed. All but one were experienced teachers, some returning from a career break or perhaps wanting a change from day to day supply. I think perhaps NQTs aren't applying for these positions as they recognise the timings of maternity cover may not fit with their need to complete an induction period. By contrast any vacancy that clearly is suitable for NQTs around here regularly attracts applications into double figures. A temporary maternity contract is also unlikely to attract someone who is already in a permanent post - unless they are really desperate to leave their school! This means the pool of applicants for maternity cover is perhaps smaller than for other posts.
    Good luck with re-advertising your vacancy!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Walrus - if you want to have your in-box overflowing with applications . . .
    Try advertising a permanent 0.4 (2 days a week) KS1 or KS2 class teacher job share . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

10. becky70

becky70 New commenter

Thought I'd add a jobseeker's perspective! Maternity covers aren't a good deal for the person doing it - too much uncertainty over when the postholder will come back. A big risk is that they come back in the middle of a term and the cover person can only get day to day supply for the rest of that term. I imagine by now there are permanent posts being advertised and these will be far more desirable.
    Reading the Unemployed Teachers forum (although I'm not unemployed at the moment) some teachers who can't get permanent work are giving up on teaching and looking for different jobs.
    As you are an inner city school, do you have a reputation for challenging behaviour which could be scaring some away? I know your OFSTED was fine but that's a different story.
    If you have any regular supply teachers you could offer it to one of them - you don't have to advertise.
    Good luck anyway, hope you find someone good for the job soon.