1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do people remember their teachers years later?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by josienig, Sep 2, 2015.

1. josienig

josienig Star commenter

I was in the cemetery this evening on my Dad's anniversary, 18 years, though it often feels like he could walk in the door and we would continue the conversation that was cut short by his sudden death.

Anyway, whilst there I met a woman who asked me if I knew where a particular person's grave was. She explained that this lady had been her teacher and she had fond memories of her and had intended for the 6 years since her death to visit her grave. It's a local cemetry so I was able to take her to the grave. She explained that she liked school and most of her teachers but said that this lady added a bit of excitement and adventure to her life as a student for which she was so grateful..maybe I soft on the day that was in it, but that short encounter made me quite emotional.

2. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

I remember most of my grade school teachers. I grew up in a small village, and school enrollment numbers were low. We all knew each other, village kids and farm kids, and had (mostly) good relationships with our teachers. I remember a handful of my university professors, the ones who made their lectures interesting and had good humour.

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think we do but it is very time related and bears little or no significance to meeting a teacher years later (or student as the case may be). We tend to remember them as part of old photographs and times. I have met students many years later and while it is nice they remember me they are now very, very different and I am no longer their teacher.

The conversation is pleasant but you both know it will be the last.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I had a teacher in the 2nd Year juniors (now known as year 4) who saw something in me and made me change how I saw myself. She was inspiring.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I can still remember most of my teachers, although more for their eccentricities than anything else. I suppose my chemistry teacher stood out the most, as he looked like Rutherford, with the voice to match.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I remember all my primary school teachers fairly well, Secondary I think I remember them all as well, some better than others, some more fondly than others.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I remember loads!

Reception - Mrs Newnes - nice lady

Middle Infants - Mrs Williams - lovely

Top Infants - Miss Matthews - nasty, bitter old bag

All of them. Nearly all of them.

Miss Hargreaves - French - hairy legs

Mr Hands - Physics - beard, monotonous voice

Miss Hayes - Domestic Science - dragon

Miss Pope - Latin - my beloved Miss Pope - she sent me a Christmas card every year until she died AND, when I opted out of uni first time round, she taught me Greek 'O' level on Saturday mornings for a year, no pay or anything, until I took the exam and went back to uni to read Latin (which is what I should have done in the first place but was too much of a muppet)

I remember loads!!!!

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I was at a wedding last year and an attractive young woman, whom I didn't recognise, ran across the room with her arms wide open, shouting: "MIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!" and gave me the most enormous hug.

Turned out to be a former student, whom I had dragged, kicking and screaming to A* at GCSE a dozen or so years earlier.

It was lovely. Made me cry.

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Anyone who was taught be Robert (Bob) Orme will never forget him.

He taught History and History of Art at Latymer Upper for 48 years and changed the lives of many many students .

An insight to his impact can be found here

www.telegraph.co.uk/.../A-master-class-in-teaching.html

10. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Yes! I got spotted at Leeds Festival by 2 male representatives of the class of 2008! despite Leeds being around 120 miles away from the school!

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I can remember all of my secondary school teachers, but sadly, only one of the infant and junior school ones. I can't remember her name, but I can remember she was well-liked. She taught us in the first year of juniors but left the school at the end of that year. She organised a party at her house to say goodbye to the class and showed us how to make and fry doughnuts, which we gorged on. I expect that would probably break a few rules these days, but we had a memorable time.

12. moose2

moose2 New commenter

Mr Handsl. He went on to marry the History teacher Miss Brown. He always had spit in his beard. Miss Hayes was a scary lady, she destroyed my shortbread. I know which school! I was there a few years after you. Chester. I loved it there.

13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

I remember nearly every one of mine. I've been in touch recently with my old art teacher, who was absolutely brilliant, and still is. I'd quite like to catch up with one or two others to see what they're up to.

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Miss Beaumont in Reception. She retrieved me when I decided I'd had enough of school and tried to run away the first afternoon. I remember stairs with sparkly bits in them.

Mr Turton was the last teacher in Primary

Miss Urquhart taught RE and was my form tutor. I loved her and we went to watch her wedding.

Miss Robinson taught English and instilled the love in me.

Miss Patch taught Biology and was incandescent with rsnge when the rabbits we had in school did what rabbits do and produced babies. She never believed we hadn't put the males and females in together.

Miss Owen was the headmistress and was truly the scariest woman ever. She had one of those mono bosoms like a shelf. She informed me that I would become a teacher. She was right!

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was at a school not far from the one I attended in the 60s a few years back. The teacher I had gone there to meet was one of those who everyone seemed to know. Somehow the conversation drifted to which school I'd attended and this teacher mentioned the name of the teacher I most respected at my school. He told me he was now living in Spain and has contact from time to time and would pass on my email address, but I never heard anything.

I would have liked to tell that teacher he was the only one in the school that stood up for me during the time I was being bullied. He didn't stop the bullying though. I did it myself by clouting the ringleader. It was a spontaneous clout in a moment of extreme bullying that I didn't expect to come off best in, however I think in the back of my mind I knew if I came off worse, there was at least one teacher in the school who would deal with the culprits.

Times were different in the 60s.

As it happens, that clout made me the person I became. Not someone who enjoys fisticuffs, but someone who has never put up with being bullied since and a person who doesn't tolerate bullying generally. Clouting that ******** and watching him run away with his tail between his legs told me everything I needed to know about bullies. You stop them by standing up to them, and that's where the story ends.

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

One of the advantages of teaching in a small rural area is watching children of children I've taught come under my tutelage. It's fun seeing the gasp of ,"Oh it's Miss XXXX or Mrs. Coombes!" as they come in on Parents evenings and then chatting to them and finding out what they're doing now.

Plus I'm had the pleasure of teaching alongside several former pupils who became teachers and one who became a Head!

It's always the ones you 'had to get onto' who remember you.

17. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Class 1: Miss Udall - Plump and Germanic. She used her cardigan sleeves as pencil case and handbag.

Class 2: Miss Trengrove - Looked like an Egyptian mummy wearing a wig. Dry, crack-throated voice, we were all scared of her.

Class 3: Miss Poppat - Like an Indian version of Miss Udall, nearly always had a coat around her shoulders and rarely moved out of her chair.

Class 4: Miss Uperdahay - Tall statuesque Indian woman, clothed in a saree and brightly-coloured scarves. Everyone loved her and she really wanted us to do well. She even got me interested in reading.

Class 5: Mr Hake - Always wore a neat suit with a waistcoat, told us exciting stories about his war service in the Fleet Air Arm. Divided the class into 'boat teams', named after famous sailors. Everyday, we sat around his chair, last thing in the afternoon, while he read us a story, to which we listened with rapt attention, as he did lots of funny voices, and passive-smoked the fumes from his pipe. In PE lessons, he could climb a rope as fast as he could walk along.

18. grumpydogwoman

Ugh!!!!!!

Mr Hands married Miss Brown!

He was .... not nice. And she, I thought, would have been asexual. Or gay. But I'm convinced most of my lady teachers were gay! ;o)

Hiya, moose2. I loved it there too. I cried on my last half-day. I didn't want to leave.

19. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I was at that school too! Mr Hands was just an eccentric scientist and should never have been a teacher.

20. grumpydogwoman

Another one!

Totally agree. I do remember a film about soldiers marching over a bridge. Physics. But that's it for 3 years of Physics.

How many QS are there on TES????