1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do people interrupt their conversation with you to use their mobile?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

This seems to have become the norm. And I find it extremely anti social. How can one have a proper conversation with someone who keeps answering and sending texts, or looking up what time a film is on, or what time the train goes to Crewe? Fair enough if it's an emergency but they don't happen very often. The whole tenor of social interaction is being radically altered by this addiction to mobiles.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Not with me. They don't. Or they get the full eye-rolling, snorting and tutting. The whole range. Not a pretty sight. And then I ostracise them.

RedQuilt and Dragonlady30 like this.
  3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Snap!!!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Nope. I refuse to meet anyone unless they have signed and returned the 'naked and no accessories' agreement.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Surely even in the good old days when every social interaction was marked by a rich and interesting conversational exchange, there tended to be a lull in proceedings when the doorbell went or the phone rang?

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But the doorbell and the phone didn't ring every second and people weren't forever looking up bits of info when they were in company.

7. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

They couldn't. So people tended to talk a great deal more unverifiable poop.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

One of my clients kept his phone on and started texting back when he received a text, right in the middle of a counselling session. I let that one go..... but not the next time!

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm talking about info that is not in any way pertinent to the conversation.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hold it right there, lascarina, I just need to Google a recipe for Potatoes Dauphinoises