1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do Pay Cuts Beckon?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Beagles111, Jun 4, 2020.

1. gone east

gone east New commenter

We are still hoping for new arrivals to be here 1st Aug, the Government department responsible has asked schools for details of new teachers (and their dependents) to (we hope) expedite the situation. We also have some back-up plans which, whilst not ideal, would mean nobody is left in the lurch.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I'm sorry to hear that. I used to work for a person who helped found that school. That person was absolutely amoral. I'm not sure if their presence at that school has anything to do with the current atmosphere. But the image brought to my mind was of that person and their duplicity.

Anyhow, so terrible.

3. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

All fine at my school in Bangkok - no pay cuts, no staff cuts, all new staff still expected in August.
    If existing staff choose to leave Thailand in the summer then we need to be back in time to quarantine and pay for the quarantine ourselves, which I think is fair enough.
    I'm sorry for anyone in a difficult position elsewhere and hope things improve for you soon.

4. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

I think I'd also be more than a bit wary now of schools which quote salary in sterling, which is then converted to local currency. The combined effects of Covid and brexit are difficult to predict but if the value of sterling slumps, so will your local currency salary.

5. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

An academy in RAK, 10% pay cut for SLT and 10% accommodation allowance paycut as well. For classroom teachers 20% for pay and accommodation. Out of 98 TAs in the various primary schools only 25 still have their jobs. No more lab technicians, librarians etc. A combination of Covid and a vicious new owner is not always a good thing.

6. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Talk about not all in it together this alone would be enough to see me leave that school.

24hours likes this.
  7. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

I have just been getting my daily catch up of stories on the *** website. I must say that compared to many, especially in China, it looks as though quite a few of us on this forum are faring pretty well. Mrs T and I still have our jobs which pay the mortgages, our kids are still getting a great education and we haven't been given a pay cut or lost our gratuities. Considering what is going on in many places, both professionally for teachers but also personally for people who have lost love ones I think that lots of us seem to have come out of this in a good state.

Take care everyone, I hope there isn't another flipping "wave" just around the corner.

Perce

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Sadly, Perce, there will be (history shows it), probably in around November or December. Let's just hope we're back in China before then!

percy topliss likes this.
  9. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

It looks like Thailand, as with the virus itself, is having a better time of it that many schools in China, I am hearing of quite a few people recently who are being told that they are not required which must be blinking devastating at this time of the year. Especially if one has mortgages or whatever to pay for wherever home is. So far I have only heard of the racetrack school here in Bangkok and Kurt Hahns one down in Phuket. Rumours aboud up here though that one or two of the newer British related schools in town are on their uppers because of a lack of parents willing to switch from tried and true to posh and new! Exciting times, need to get back on to I*S**R***

10. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I was expecting 0% rise this year and we got 1.5%. Not a great raise, but not a pay cut, either...

11. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

I'm happy with 0% and keeping my job.

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  12. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Me too.

13. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Me too but I signed a contract with a pay rise before the pandemic so will be interesting to see what happens.

atm still waiting to receive this months pay which is late so more worried about that for now.

14. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Glad I moved to a respectable Tier one school, I am even getting a pay rise next year (contractually agreed) although base pay scales are the same.

To their credit my school's admin, at a boarding school, stood up to parents and said no refunds (although boarders get a small discount next year) and we are even gaining students who can't now go overseas.

I feel for those leaving, and anyone with jobs offered in places like China and Malaysia may well lose their jobs due to visa issues eg Malaysia announced no new visa approvals until December. Ouch. You sort of can't blame schools for that, but we need a name and shame system for schools slashing salaries. That's not on.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.