1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do Pay Cuts Beckon?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Beagles111, Jun 4, 2020.

1. msb92

msb92 New commenter

Currently working in a school in Bangkok, in 2 weeks we have had many people who have lost their jobs and now the remaining staff have a year long pay cut. Morale is very low as the communication has been incredibly awful. I am not looking forward to the year ahead!

2. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

Nothing surprises me when it comes to international "schools".

They are literally capable of anything.

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

@msb92 , any chance that you could, obliquely, let us know which school this is? I get quite a few messages about schools in Bangkok and I think that this is the sort of information that prospective teachers need to know. It says a lot about financial stability and management when schools do this to staff, especially this late in the day.

Thanks,

Perce

4. gone east

gone east New commenter

Could you give a criptic message of the school's name so we need to avoid them, please?

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  5. internationalteacher4321

internationalteacher4321 New commenter

Very unlikely, new teachers will get into Vietnam for the start of August in my honest opinion.

6. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

Disgusting!

7. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

There's a discussion of school responses to this here where you might find useful info.

I sadly turned down an offer this week because of something here. I really do mean sadly, I'd have loved to go there, but I didn't have confidence in the school's financial security.

If there's a similar situation in the future, I don't want to find myself in a place where the school can no longer afford to employ or pay me and with closed borders and no way out. Schools which already had to make pay cuts and/or redundancies to survive this don't inspire confidence.

suem75 likes this.
  8. desertphantom

desertphantom New commenter

Would be very interested to hear a bit more about what's going on in Bangkok - I'm due to be starting there next year, the school are saying to arrive start of August but this seems extremely optimistic to me, the visa process keeps being delayed and I can only imagine that there will be a huge back-log of administration to be done when they eventually do restart. Life has been thrown into uncertainty right now and the most difficult thing to get the head around is that it could actually be a very long time before any certainty returns! Considering all options.

9. percy topliss

I have sent you a message.

Perce

10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There seems to be a theme here. Most of the ones where people have been suddenly fired without warning seem to be in Kuwait.

11. toodles90

toodles90 New commenter

Also due to start in Bangkok in August. Have been told to try and get there for the 1st of August in order to quarantine and be ready for induction. In limbo at the minute as unable to obtain visa and borders are still closed. It’s a waiting game. Hoping all still goes ahead.

12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I did mean that sarcastically - my wife is actually in management.

13. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

That is terrible. I’m so sorry about that.

14. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I’m in Bangkok and my school hasn’t cut salaries or bonuses. They’ve been very normal about new staff.
    PM me about your school.

15. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I don’t know anyone who’s been fired (not saying it’s not happened) but do know about some reductions or deferrals.

no more or less than has happened anywhere else.

to me (and I may be wrong, this is just my observation) the problem I. Kuwait was the MoE declaring that the Covid shutdown was a holiday, and that online wasn’t mandatory.

this led to parents legitimately refusing to pay the fees. I’m not sure any school could survive with zero income for five months of the year.....

16. msb92

msb92 New commenter

A British racecourse which has a popular horse race this weekend....hope this helps everyone.

17. msb92

msb92 New commenter

Now I am just a bit stuck on what to do in regards to my job 'security' or lack of? As well as all I have mentioned, it now seems less informative and more threatening from management. Received an email explaining if we travel overseas and are unable to attend the induction week, our contracts will be terminated.

18. johnnyb__123

johnnyb__123 New commenter

You may be right. But I’ve got an apartment and timetable. They seem pretty serious.

19. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

If you have savings and getting a job now is not a 100% necessity, tell them to go swallow a phallus. There are more and more job ads popping up as schools scramble to fill last minute vacancies.

20. percy topliss

To be honest I think that this is the message that is being sent out to most teachers here in Bangkok, some schools and Heads certainly seem to have handled it better than others however. We have been told that, if we choose to travel outside the country and then need to quarantine when we get back that it will be up to us to pay, fine; and that if we miss any school we, obviously, won't get paid, also fine. The major problem here though is that the government seems to be changing its mind on a weekly basis, they have done a great job in countering the pandemic but general dissemination of information, especially to farangs, has not been their forte.
    That said, your school does seem to have a particularly draconian way of doing things, probably a result of having a bluff Northerner as a head! I do think that in the next few years the sector will open up again and it will become a teachers market, schools such as yours and the Northern one may well find that in the long run the mud that is being thrown now because of their appalling treatment of their staff may well stick!

Later,

Perce