1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do Pay Cuts Beckon?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Beagles111, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

Higginson72 and grdwdgrrrl like this.
  2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Such amazing news. Justice for the teachers!

3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

TusitalaH and suem75 like this.
  4. grdwdgrrrl

Wow. Just amazing how all this unfolded and how far reaching the affects have been. I feel for all those that have had so much distress and anxious months in limbo. Every morning I wake up and it takes me a minute to remember that we're living in this weirdness. I try very hard to push the negative feelings out of my head. Still, I find myself taking it out on other things. However, I am lucky that I have a job still and I'm with my family and I'm in my house. Take care everyone.

Higginson72 likes this.
  5. deadly lampshade

deadly lampshade New commenter

Those arrangements for getting into China don't make easy reading.

adultsocialcare likes this.
  6. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Looks like the Chinese don't necessarily want anyone back! I must say that I laughed when I saw the bit about Her Majesty's Government organising flights. Looking at what is happening at home I wouldn't trust them to organise the proverbial....

Perce

suem75 likes this.
  7. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@rouxx thanks - I'd got an email which I read quickly yesterday but not in depth. The good news in it is that it now says "company / school" which does seem to suggest that teachers are being acknowledged as essential workers. Difficulties are going to be (a) getting a flight, and (b) paying for it (which is why some of the rumours about chartered flights are hopeful.) Still have to do 14 days quarantine though (plus 7 at home)!

On the other hand, this doesn't apply for new staff who don't have a residency permit yet - they are still not getting in under these regulations.

8. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Yes...I realise not for new teachers.
    I was under the impression that you were one of the stranded, which is why I tagged you @amysdad

9. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

Thanks for the heads up @rouxx. A couple of people at my school sent this to me as well, so it's definitely being looked at.

For my part, I find it encouraging that China is considering options for getting foreign employees back in the country ahead of time, rather than the blanket ban on foreigners that China (and many other countries) had on their borders up till now.

Amy'sdad is right that the challenge will be getting a flight, but there are some discussions between the school and Beijing government at the moment regarding some options. To make it clear, if any chartering of flights is to be done it will be entirely thanks to planning on the other side. I don't expect Her Majesty's Government to get involved in any way.

10. johnnyb__123

johnnyb__123 New commenter

Does anyone know if Vietnam's entry policy is likely to be similar to China's? Writing as a potential new teacher in Vietnam

11. amysdad

@rouxx - yes I am. Lots of rumours flying around about the discussions but nothing concrete yet. I think the problem the schools will have is that these plans are really designed for getting the top management of companies back. Multinationals like VW or Siemens have the main part of the workforce there, but not senior management - but the schools are missing both senior management and the workforce, and I suspect that might be the sticking point (assuming that China really doesn't fancy teachers returning there from the UK and USA in particular!)

12. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Yes...of course it will be the top brass, but at least it’s a step forward.

And I don’t blame China for not wanting hordes of teachers returning from places like the US and the UK.

13. amysdad

Though the sneaky teacher in me would love to point out that, unlike many other business, a lot of schools would run much better without their senior management.....

14. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Except that's not true is it? Not if you want your school to function, if you want to get paid, if you want to have students enrolled for next year, if you want resources to arrive....etc. etc.

A pithy, sarcastic soundbite it might be - but simply does a disservice to those supporting teachers in doing their important work in the classroom (virtual and real)

15. percy topliss

To be honest though, @SecondPlace at my school we have a finance department that deals with wages, we have an admissions and marketing department that deals with drawing in and signing up new students. We also have a facilities department through whom we order all that we need in order to deliver our curricula. Of course we have an excellent teaching staff too, one that ensures our students grasp the education both subject wise and pastorally that their parents pay for and demand.

Our head spends a lot of time walking around with his dog.

Take care everyone and have a lovely, lovely holiday.

Perce

16. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

If there's one country I'd move jobs for it would be Vietnam. Fabulous place. I hope those with jobs there manage to stay in position, and if you are going there, you get there. Mind you, Singapore is on the radar too if this virus ever passes, and my usual suite in Raffles is available. That's another place that seems sane, a great place to work and live.

17. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

I have just reread this thread and it looks as though one set of schools is coming out of it without a shining reputation, however, I have yet to see a first hand report from anyone at one of these places who has had a contract cancelled or been told definitively that they will be taking a pay cut. Perhaps they just do not read this organ.
    One thing that I will be interested to see is the numbers of kids who actually return in August/September. Here in Bangkok, whilst the pandemic never really took hold, most schools have been closed since March and I know that numbers are reportedly well down in a few schools for the new year. There are a couple of British ones with heavy hitting backers due to open this year and a lot of money stands to be lost if it all falls apart!
    To be honest, I think that the real problem here may well come in the new year when the schools actually see how many returning students they have. Then will be the time for the beancounters to work out how many teachers they actually need and how much they can afford to pay them. I think we should all enjoy our holidays and, perhaps, prepare to tighten our belts.

18. percy topliss

I think that Beagles may be right. My school has been excellent. We closed in early March and will not reopen at all until September. The school have kept us up to date with as much information as they could during this time, however, the one thing that none of us know with any certainty is how many kids are going to rock up in September, each of our kids pays over a million baht a year so it doesn't take many not coming back to make a significant dent in the schools income which, obviously, has a knock on effect in the hiring and paying of teachers.
    Interesting times.

Perce

19. grdwdgrrrl

BKK Kids is accepting advertising from UWC in Phuket which has just slashed teacher’s salaries retroactive to May by 50%.
    I think they (the schools) need to be named and shamed. 50% AND you’re caught off guard. You have rent due, mortgages to pay and student loans not to mention, you may be a parent or even a single parent. This is serious. Having no warning is terrible. Makes the rest of us anxious that it could happen to us in blink of the eye.

percy topliss likes this.
  20. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Schools cutting pay might find it is damaging in the medium term. It doesn't inspire confidence either in current staff or in potential new recruits that a school felt it had to cut wages to stay afloat.

I would be very wary of signing a contract with a school where this had happened