1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do Pay Cuts Beckon?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Beagles111, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

As someone reported in a thread earlier there is a school in Phuket, apparently, which has given its staff a 50% pay cut.

Is this a one off or are many schools doing the same thing?

Will staff have to leave if cuts are introduced which leave them unable to honour mortgages or other payments in their home countries?

I think that it would be off interest to all to find out if this is happening and, if so, where?

2. sully007

sully007 New commenter

Happening in Malaysia to a few schools. Not as drastic as 50%. We're having a 20% reduction.

3. mr1303

mr1303 New commenter

In Vietnam between 10-20% depending on position.

4. amariB

amariB New commenter

We’ve had a pay freeze and new staff had their contracts cancelled, but no cuts as yet. Also Malaysia.

5. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Salary freeze at a school in Bangkok.

6. 576

576 Established commenter

We're OK here, though some new staff have had contracts withdrawn due to a fall in numbers.
    My previous school has a 30% paycut till the end of the school year. But they are a boarding school and parents are now getting virtual school so why should they pay for full boarding.

7. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Not true, maybe at some in Vietnam, but all the people I have spoken too that work there (At better international schools) haven't had a pay cut, couple I know have a pay freeze for next year though.

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I suspect pay freezes are likely, but equally there will be pay cuts in schools who are either operating on a tight profit margin or where the owners are greedy and do it just because others are.

9. PJ1984

PJ1984 New commenter

Salary freeze here in HK

10. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

At all schools?

11. RoadToRags

RoadToRags New commenter

Salary freeze at bilingual school in Shanghai

12. PJ1984

PJ1984 New commenter

Hard to say. I’m at the “big group” and we are likely to be frozen. I’ve heard a rumour that the “north of England” school has had a pay cut but it’s not been confirmed.

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

if you are referring to the school north of anglia, they are not issuing any contracts to anybody, not even existing staff. They have also withdrawn offers.
    Good pal of mine found out his offer from prestigious school in Thailand, top 2 or 3, has been withdrawn. Offer made and accepted months ago.

Basically, everybody sitting on an offer from an international school needs to check that all is well. It only takes an email. Better to know now.

14. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

"everybody sitting on an offer from an international school needs to check that all is well. It only takes an email."

'Ow does that work then?

A made an offer to B last December, who accepted it. B emails A today and says "Is everything okay?". A clearly has no idea how many expat students will arrive, how many local students will come who have got the money to pay their fees, if fees will need to be renegotiated with parents, if their Government is going to let foreigners in, if a second wave will hit, if airlines are flying, if medical insurance for teachers can include C19 etc etc but needs to keep everyone on board until the picture is much clearer later in August. The school's top priority now is to stay in business, not worry about non-employees whose contracts can be cancelled without any penalty with one twenty second ' Sorry about that, but C19, y'know and all that. Good luck in the future' email.

A emails B back and says, "Everything is tickerty boo." What else are they going to say?

24hours likes this.
  15. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I would expect that new staff contracts might be cancelled where teachers currently in post turn round and say "actually, I'd quite like to stay now" especially when they are in the country already. Ultimately though there are still going to be kids whose parents are paying the school and need to be taught, so if you're going to try to avoid a complete collapse of your school you need to be thinking about how the staff outside the country (new and returning) are going to be teaching if, come August, they can't get there.

That said, we'll all know the names of the schools who cancel contracts, especially for existing staff, after this is all over. And worth checking when the time comes to move on.

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Anything can happen, we all know that, but that doesn't mean that the worst is happening all around us.
    At my school, all the departing teachers are still departing. Departure plans are rather odder than normal, but no one asked to stay.
    All teachers who are meant to continue, are planning to continue. No one has been asked to leave, and no one has asked to be set free.
    One teacher who was meant to join us in August has backed out. Vague reasons that don't add up, so basically "you know, corona". Everyone else is working with us quite actively, gathering various documents they'll need for permission to leave where they are and permission to enter our country. It's more onerous than normal, but everyone on both sides seems committed. Hopefully we get them all here on schedule and if not we'll get them here when we can.
    Of all my friends and colleagues around the world (and there are quite a few, after over 25 years working overseas), none of them has been fired or had a contract cancelled. I've heard, as have we all, of some schools firing people, but it is a small number of schools, not a large one. Large number of rumors...
    So yes, anything can happen, but it's not all doom and gloom. Let's not encourage everyone to panic, when the more reasonable course is to stay calm and support everyone through this, focusing on the relatively small number of people who are facing the worst, instead of pretending that we're all already drowning.

17. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

"Let's not encourage everyone to panic"

I agree with this totally, especially if you are currently without a job. Equally, let's not encourage everyone to carry on as if it is a normal year if you are going to resign a permanent job. Do it with your eyes wide open, understand that schools won't have a really clear picture until August / September in many cases, and have a Plan B in case your offer is withdrawn at the last moment, as may happen. That involves ensuring you have enough cash for 6 months, somewhere to live and know what you would do if that did happen to you mid-August.

18. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

My friend was just told they don’t have a job after this year. It’s a school that’s part of NA. She’s in the middle of her contract.

19. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

In Singapore. Not in my school, but I have heard another big name school have given all their staff a very small pay cut. Another school has lost a significant number of pupils so has cancelled all new contracts, and redeployed some upper primary staff into secondary roles.
    In my school no changes have yet been announced, but recruitment is focused on employing local teachers on shorter contracts rather than expensive overseas hires.

20. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I am truly sorry for everyone who is facing pay cuts or job loss. It is tragic and I want to help.
    My post failed to sufficiently convey that sentiment. I am against panic, and for supporting those in need.

Higginson72 likes this.