1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do our children ever hear classical music?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by inky, Feb 16, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Well, do you consider it an important question?

2. sadika

sadika New commenter

Yes IMO it's important and yes ours do!

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

yes yes yes

4. YES, YES, YES
    The whole school at the beginning of assemblies most weeks, depending on music chosen. My R/1/2 class every day sometimes as a listening activity and sometimes to work or play to.
    I often wonder what goes through my 5 1/2 year olds head - he has lots of classical cd's in his box. He will go from the gruffalo story tape, Tcurrent pop songs, folk music and then classical music which he loves as well. Often talking about the films they might be from or making up stories to go with them!

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why is it that so many of our children only hear pop and Disney slush? Actually, it's the Disnoid slush I object to - every generation has a right to its own popular music.

6. yes, infact we are looking at 'the carnival of the animals' next half term

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Lovely, but, with all respect, you don't look at music, you listen to it! The children will be hearing other music as well, won't they?

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, that came across as rude. You were just using a figure of speech.[​IMG]

I like that eotican. It reminds me of Prince Charles.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

emoticon

10. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

Yes they do......they have many opportunities to hear a variety of styles. In particular, we choose a piece of the week to listen to whilst eating snack all together.

Favourite observation ever was of a boy 'singing' the 1812 Overture whilst re-enacting The Gunpowder Plot!!

11. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I am playing Divenire by the composer Ludovico Einaudi in my Reception /year1 classroom at the moment. I had it as my music of the week for assembly and the children asked 'can we have your special music on?'

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Yes and Yes

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd love to have seen that!
    [​IMG]

14. jen77

jen77 New commenter

We have a range of different styles playing each morning for assembly, then I play the ipod every afternoon with classical, jazz, pop, anything really!
    We're currently listening to the Late Lounge on Jazz fm [​IMG]

15. We listen to different music both in assemblies and at snack time - at present we have Buddhist Chants on at snack time (more for me I think!) The children do like it and one child with behavioural issues puts her head down and tells me it makes her feel kind!! That's a Reception class but I have done this in Nurseries too.

16. Hi! I am a Montessori Teacher in a Montessori School in Ireland, children aged 3.5 - 5 years. I play classical music for the children almost everyday. Next week we will be listening to Vivaldi's Spring. The children will be encouraged to listen to "Spring" and identify the signs of Spring in the song - with teacher's help if needed (first section is the trees, when music changes, it is the birds, then the trees again, then the river, then the trees, then the thunder storm, then the trees, then the sun, then the trees, then the sun, and the song ends with the trees). You can hear these things in the music. The children will then be encouraged to make up actions for each of these parts of the music. We will look at Vivaldi's life, where he came from, what instrument he played. The children will be encouraged to explore a real violin and learn what all the parts are for and have a go themselves.
    I try and introduce different pieces of classical music or art every month. In the past we have looked at Van Gogh's paintings, Starry Night, listened to the song and then looked at his sunflower paintings. We discussed how the Starry Night painting made us feel and then how his sunflower paintings made us feel. There so many resources on the internet.
    Of course I couldnt possibly do this with every classical piece I play, but Canon in D and Greensleeves are probably played everyday during snack, quiet times. Traditional Irish music is used for out tidy up music and the children love it!