1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do Ofsted only ring on certain days?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by NQT1986, Nov 8, 2012.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I have been told by different (potentially unreliable?!) sources that under their new 'last minute' inspection regime, Ofsted are unlikely to ring on a Thursday because they won't come in just for one day(and won't do a Friday/Monday) and are unlikely to ring on a Friday because they don't want to give schools the weekend to drastically change what's going on! Is it true that the majority of calls will be on a Monday-for a Tues/Weds inspection, Tuesday-for a Wednesday/Thursday inspection and Wednesday-for a Thursday/Friday inspection??

Am fed up with the hysteria now and want them to just come in and get on with it!

2. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

They can definitely ring on a Tuesday, not just a Monday or Wednesday.
    Compassman, apparently if they can't get through to the school they just come anyway, so I wouldn't advise not answering the phone!

3. I know of a school recently where they couldn't get through because the phone system was down - they just turned up next morning!

4. It's from 12pm and they will try all afternoon to get through - if no one answers then they will turn up at your door 8.30am.
    You need to rethink this no calls on Thurs also - for smaller schools one day inspections are allowed and they will ring you on Thursday for those to take place Friday.

Good luck!

5. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

What difference does it make?

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

a huge one to me, and several head and primary teacher friends. Since 2005 all weekend plans have been made with the caveat "unless we get the call" the call on Friday leads to teachers wanting to go in and make sure that everything is as "ready" as it can possibly be. Heads go in to open up, to support and reassure and to get as much of the paperwork together as possible to make the 2 days run more smoothly. Cue 16 hour days plus sleepless nights and much eating of biscuits. My nerves, the scales and my social life will notice a difference!

7. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Thanks for all the replies. No call yet, but Wednesday of this week isn't over yet!

Has anyone had a 'new style' inspection? Any kind words of wisdom for me!?

8. In nearly all cases schools will be called from about noon on the day prior to the inspection commencing. Ofsted will not normally call any school on a Thursday or Friday. The only calls made on a Thursday will be for very small schools that require a one day inspection that will be completed on the following day. There are very few of these by the way. This means that it is highly unlikely that any school inspections will commence on a Monday. The chief inspector reserves the right however to make unannounced inspections and these can happen at any time. This right is very rarely used. If schools fail to answer the phone the inspection will take place and will be obviously unannounced. I hope this helps.

9. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

I work for a federation of two small schools. We recently had the calls for both schools on Wednesday lunchtime for a Thur/Fri inspection. Both inspectors tried to phone at dead on 12 (The second one couldn't get through as the line was blocked).

Our head spent the entire two days driving between the two schools to see both inspectors. How she kept so calm I'll never know.

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Madness, I hope you got a fair inspection.

11. We had the call yesterday lunchtime (wednesday) and they were in today (thursday) and will be tomorrow too. We had very little notice which seems to be the style now.