1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do not do a social science PGCE. ITS A MUGS GAME. THERE ARE NO JOBS,

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by AnonL, Nov 27, 2015.

1. AnonL

AnonL New commenter

Do not do it. It's a waste of time. Impossible to get a job in them. Opinions.

2. AnonL

AnonL New commenter

Even for supply you are overlooked if your subjects are social sciences. Few schools do them or recognise them as having been trained in an appropriate subject. Train in any other subjects. Not social science. It's a waste of time and money people, it you won't get work. There is massive surplus of social science PGCE graduates working in ASDA as they cannot even get supply as schools don't recognise them as suitable school subjects. Opinions welcome.

3. casquin

casquin New commenter

Hello Anon, I do not know where you get your information from regarding employability for Soc Science trainee teachers, I run a very successful PGCE in Social Science and we've had 100% employability rate for the last 25 years. PGCE Social Science trainees study a variety of subjects including humanities, therefore are highly sought after.

4. blt

blt New commenter

Hi AnonL. I'm not sure what's happened to give you that opinion but there are jobs and the difficulty is in filling them - there is a real shortage of qualified Social Science teachers.

It might be that your 'negativity' is perhaps coming across at application/interview? Reading some of your other posts about senior leadership, schools recruiting unintelligent people (I can't remember your specific words…) and comments on other staff being asked back to do supply work, maybe it is a qualification issue but rather a personality clash?

There are current Social Science jobs being advertised now so perhaps look at these? Also ask for some honest feedback from the jobs you have applied for as well as the schools you do supply for.

Good luck.