1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do new employers know what point of the pay scale you were on?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Pl501, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Pl501

Pl501 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am currently applying for a job at an academy within an academy trust. My current employer is an academy of a different trust.

My question is, will my new employer already know my current salary before I give them a P45? Will they know I'm lying if I say I'm on a higher point of the main pay scale than I am on the application document? Is it common practice to inflate one's salary?

I know there is no pay portability but I should have been moved up to M3 last September (according to my appraisal, but wasn't as I was going to maternity leave - discrimination hence why I'm leaving my current employer) so I feel compelled to boost my salary to put the chances on my side of having the new school meet that pay.

I obviously don't want to get caught out in a lie (even though I know my P45 will give it away but by then I will have negotiated my salary and they might not even notice!) Is it common practice for academies to share an employee's salary with a new prospect employer within references?

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

You need to decide if you want to take the risk. If you do you will only have yourself to blame if it goes wrong. Do schools take notice of previous pay now? They don't have to match it, no pay portability. What they are willing to pay will depend more on how they value you. i seem to recall that a lie on an application is grounds for dismissal.

3. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

It is NOT common practice to lie on an application form. If you do, you will never be secure in your job, as you could be dismissed without notice as soon as the lie comes to light, 1, or 5 or 10 years later

Piranha and strawbs like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's not just a disciplinary offence for which you could be dismissed to lie on an application form it may also be a crime - Obtaining money by deception, Fraud Act 2006. (Because if the employer knew your true salary they might either have not offered you the job at all or offered the job at a lower salary. You would have obtained the salary by deception.)

Several cases have been reported in the teacher barring panel decisions of teachers barred for similar things.

Don't do it is my advice.

As well them finding out eventually from your P45 it's also a common question in reference requests, 'what it the applicant's current salary?'.

5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Maybe try and see it as a bargaining tool if you need to negotiate salary..."I was on M2 in my last post but would have progressed to M3 if not for maternity, so feel I should be paid M4"

Piranha likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

So you are arguing for discrimination about pay yet want to fib on an application form about pay? Not a good road to go down.

You may have been wronged but that doesn’t mean that you act like a thief with your next employer. Tell the truth on your Application Form and remember when you sign it that’s what your signature means. By all means try to negotiate your pay if you are offered the job - but don’t try and fool your potential employer.