1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do most Heads really work 70+ hours a week ? And if so, is it a Good Thing ?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Oldcrofter, Mar 5, 2011.

1. install

install Star commenter

Most teachers work excessive hours - let alone some heads. But heads get much better pay. The best heads in my experience know where to draw their boundaries between home and work - and set an appropriate example for their colleagues. Heads that work smart are good at balancing working hours/delegation/ roles and duties.

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I think it’s unhealthy to be working extremely long hours like this- and if you are, you’ve got to ask yourself how you can manage your time better?
    I get that the HT role is more than a 8:30-3:00 job, but you’ve got to balance your home life with your work life.
    On a standard typical day, I will arrive at work between 7:30am- 7:45am and leave by 5:30pm at the latest (unless there is a function on at school) - I don’t expect my staff to work long hours either, and I always recompense with TOIL if they’ve worked extra hours for a school event.

welshwales and install like this.
  3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Typical day would be 7:15am to 4:45pm. That's a 9 and a half hour day as I tend to be on duty at lunchtime. Obviously there are then additional extras like PTA meetings, governor meetings etc. That equates to best part of 50 hours a week usually. Can't think of many weeks of 70 hours unless there's parents evenings etc.

I do find as a HT I spend a lot more time thinking about work than I ever did as a teacher. Tends to be on my mind a lot earlier after waking up then it ever used to be!

4. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

I'd agree with Abacus1982, tend to be at my desk for 7 and leave around 5 unless I have a meeting..but may check emails etc throughout the evening til a cut off point. I want my staff to know that some uninterrupted home life is vital to their - and my - ability to do their job well, which is why I've tried to cut directed time to the bare minimum too....
    Like you, abacus1982, I do find myself thinking about work straight away when I'm up and about, but that's OK, gets the gears going ;)