1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do many teachers move from indy to state?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by mollyhog, Nov 11, 2017.

1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

It is full of doggy schools and as a country it is notorious on the intetnational circuit as a joke. A desination that you either start your career as you dont know any better, or finish your career as you dont care anymore. It is also the worse paying country in the world. This is no joke, i dont know anywhere that when you add it all up you come out with so little.
    Genuinely there are about 3 schools in the whole country that are half decent. There are some true horror stories about teaching in Spain, my own experience nearly made me quit teaching. I have had friends, family and loads and loads of colleagues teach there, and once they left and moved to decent schools they have all said, " never again".
    They will always get suckers to go and teach there because "its lovely to live", and it is. But so are soooooooooooooo many other countries.
    Put it this way, when i left my god awful school in Spain, i moved to Eastern Europe. My pay doubled, and my workload halved. Add to that that i had all the usual benefits thrown in like accommodation, flights, medical insurance, and a lot more.
    I have not personally met ONE person that has had a positive experience in Spain....not ONE.

best of luck....working abroad is amazing and given me life as a teacher that i could NEVER have in the UK.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask this on the Teaching Overseas board and you'll get a more balanced response, with some positivity.

WelshMags likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

Optimal word there is "some".... you really wont get much :)

4. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

Wouldn't be going for the money - would like to learn the language and have some kind of work life balance. I might be near the end of my career, but I still care and love teaching but don't like the UK data driven teaching environment. I know the pay is low, but wouldn't be bothered about that either.

5. dumbbells66

Do a serious amount of research. I can not emphasise the extreme amount of very low level schools in Spain. Like i said, its notorious on the international circuit. You might be more concerned about the money when you are barely making enough to live, or cutting into your savings to have that "nice" lifestyle. There are sooooooo many countries that have just as nice culture, lifestyle etc.

You have been warned :)

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Avoid the pain in Spain by getting on a plane!

Those who are interested in teaching in China might like to read my blog and you can find it at www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

7. mollyhog

mollyhog Occasional commenter

'It is full of doggy schools......'
    I LOVE the idea of teaching in a doggy school - the students would be eager to learn and easy to please!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D:D:D
    Similar messes to many reception classes...

JL48 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  9. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

In answer to the OP, I am planning to move from indie to state this year and am in the UK. I love teaching in both sectors and both are stressful and enjoyable in different ways. That said, conditions in my current school are really very good and I do feel valued as a staff member in a way that perhaps the state sector did not quite manage.
    My heart is in state though and it's where I plan to go next.
    Maybe I shall get the shock of my life (hope not!) but it is definitely something I want to do.

10. mollyhog

mollyhog Occasional commenter

Good luck pussycat! Let us know how you get on. I think I could return to state if it was in a school with a strong SLT - although I don't know if I'd cope with bringing 3 sets of 30 books home for marking every weekend again!

caterpillartobutterfly and JL48 like this.
  11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

A Science-teaching friend of mine, who works in a private school, would be very happy if he only had to bring three sets of books home at the weekend.

Yes, pussycat, I agree that both the state sector and the indie sector need good teachers. If you think that the state sector is where you ought to be, then I think that there are many, many teachers in independent schools who would respect you for that.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Bet there aren't 30 kids in a class though. Most indy teachers have fewer contact hours too.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

Next time someone posts about how fabulous international schools are...we all need to remember this. :rolleyes:

I take nothing at all home at the weekend, and currently work in a school which doesn't have Saturday school either! :)

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Indeed, and in England I don't know any indie school teachers who routinely take home piles of books.

15. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Most do routinely work over the weekend though.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

:eek:
    Not from my prep school they don't!

17. dumbbells66

I've not taken work home with me once in over 10 years of international teaching. I have more than enough freetime during the working day to do everything. The difference between international schools (in decent international schools) and the UK is night and day in my experience.

18. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Worked 28 years in Secondary Indie. Almost never took work home - same as @dumbbells66 had plenty of time during the day to do everything.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

As I pointed out, neither do staff in my indie.
    Clearly the experience of @the hippo is somewhat different!