1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do many Early Years Teachers become Head Teachers?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BB2009, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am an Early Years teacher in my NQT year. When I thought about my future career I had always imagined I would like to one day become an Early Years co-ordinator. However, after speaking to a few friends from my PGCE we realised that the majority of us had HTs at our schools who had little or no experience of teaching in the Early Years. It got us thinking if we would like to be head teachers and what amazing schools we could run :) So, has anyone here gone from being an EY teacher to a HT? Can you do it with experience of teaching Nursery to Y2 or do you need to have been up there teaching in KS2 as well? If people can become Heads with little experience of the Early years couldn't we become head teachers with little experience of ks2? I'm just interested in what other peoples opinions and experiences of this are as it seems to me that Heads are more likely to have taught ks2 than FS?

2. Hi all,

I am an Early Years teacher in my NQT year. When I thought about my future career I had always imagined I would like to one day become an Early Years co-ordinator. However, after speaking to a few friends from my PGCE we realised that the majority of us had HTs at our schools who had little or no experience of teaching in the Early Years. It got us thinking if we would like to be head teachers and what amazing schools we could run :) So, has anyone here gone from being an EY teacher to a HT? Can you do it with experience of teaching Nursery to Y2 or do you need to have been up there teaching in KS2 as well? If people can become Heads with little experience of the Early years couldn't we become head teachers with little experience of ks2? I'm just interested in what other peoples opinions and experiences of this are as it seems to me that Heads are more likely to have taught ks2 than FS?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I haven't a clue with actual figures but I know a few heads who started out in nursery or reception. At one point it was considered good/necessary for experience in all 3 key stages if considering a management role.

4. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

I know many Head teachers with no experience of Early Years including Reception -and I mean NONE.
    I also know lots of Headteachers who started in KS1 or Reception and who have KS2 experience as well.
    I know no Headteachers who did not have KS2 experience though....
    Ummmm

5. Hi,
    I'm an NQT in Reception too :)
    My Headteacher started in Reception (15 Years ago) but has kept up to date with the EYFS. The Deputy Head is also up to date with the EYFS as she taught it last year and the year before.
    I've found that Headteachers are becoming more aware of the practice with the EYFS as their current EYFS teachers move on.
    From browsing the forum it does seem that there are a large number of senior management teams with little knowledge of the EYFS.
    I've also noticed that quite a few EYFS teachers are SENCos too.... How do they manage to fit everything in?!?!
    xXx