1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do many children wear glasses in reception?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by withnail1969, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Just found out my timid summer born son needs glasses and possibly a patch. Do many children in reception wear glasses, how do they cope? I'm hoping the other kids will be too young to make fun of them but he's really worried about it.
    Thanks!

2. Just found out my timid summer born son needs glasses and possibly a patch. Do many children in reception wear glasses, how do they cope? I'm hoping the other kids will be too young to make fun of them but he's really worried about it.
    Thanks!

3. ive got a little girl in my reception class with glasses. The other children all commented how nice they were when she first started wearing them. I wear my glasses to school occasionally (usually wear contacts) and my class alway say 'i love you in your glasses, they're beautiful' when i do wear them.

i think that at that age glasses are exciting and something theyd like themselves - esp the Bratz ones the little girl in my class has.

4. My son wore glasses in rec for a lazy eye, as did his friend. They tend to tell you to patch for a small number of hours now so he only wore his patch at home.

5. Thanks to both of you.
    How long did your son have to wear the patch for, did it correct the lazy eye? It would be great if we could just do the patch out of school, he can't cope with getting attention at the best of times.
    Thanks again.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I have 5 children with glasses in my class (30 children).
    A few years ago we had a little boy who was self conscious about having to wear a patch so we had a pirate week and everyone wore patches.

7. Msz - that's so thoughtful of you, almost brought a tear to my eye.

8. I have had a few over the years. I also had a child who kept telling her mum that her eyes hurt and she needed glasses. Turns out they didn't hurt at all child just wanted to wear glasses like me! He may set off a trend!

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

I was so delighted to get my glasses and be able to see properly that I never minded wearing them. My mum was worried I'd mind, and kept telling me I didn't need to wear them all the time if I didn't want to, but I couldn't care less, and taking them off and on was far too much hassle.

10. I have had a couple of children each year (out of classes of 16-20 children) who have worn glasses - they have all been fine wearing them. I had a girl in my class a few years ago who also had to have an eye patch (sometimes as well as her glasses, sometimes instead of). Her patches were different colours and designs (e.g. white with black spots, ladybird, etc). She was a little self-conscious at first (but that was in her nature anyway at that age - not the case now!!) but soon got used to it. As others have said, she didn't need the patch all day anyway.

11. i wore a patch when i was younger - nowadays the patches are quite nice, different patterns and colours. i'm sure he'l be fine

12. I took my son to optician last summer as he kept saying that he couldnt' see things far away - it turned out that he was fine and just wanted glasses like some others in his class. Currently have 4 out of 40 wearing glasses, 2 of those have to wear a patch - 6 hours a day, rest of the class take little notice which has made life easier for the chn. concerned.

13. I have identical twins in my nursery class - one who wears glasses and one who doesn't - very easy to tell them apart....until last week when the other one needs them too! Arrrggghhh! They love their glasses by the way and the other kids don't even mention them.

14. ciddy

ciddy New commenter

I've got a girl in my class (reception) who has just got glasses this week and has been reluctant to wear them. A few days in her mum told me the girl said she's worried about being teased, even though mum and myself both wear them. Any ideas how I can make her feel more comfortable about it, and make sure no teasing does happen?? I'm thinking of talking to them all about why people wear glasses, and then having templates of cardboard glasses for them to make and decorate (also fits quite nicely with our senses topic!)

15. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I have one at the moment with a bad squint who Dad says may need a patch. There are usually a couple more that we pick up during the year after the nurse visits. I wear glassses for reading and one of the TAs for short sight, so it's never an issue with the children. Like others have said, the glasses are great these days.

16. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Perhaps invite an Optician in to do a talk (I'm lucky, I've always had a few Optician parents), and encourage all the children to visit one to have their eyes checked. You could help the child/ren with glasses' self-esteem by saying that they have done the right thing by getting their eyes checked already - the others will be champing at the bit to have an eye test!
    Also, perhaps an Optician-themed role-play area, so everyone can try on different types of glasses. I've always kept my old frames for this, but I'm sure you could get hold of old frames on Freecycle or from an Opticians?

17. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've always had a couple of children in my Reception class with glasses, and we've never had any problem with teasing. I don't know if it's because children with glasses are no longer teased in the way that they sometimes used to be when I was a kid, or because the children are so young that they don't see glasses as something to tease a child about. If anything they tend to like the pictures that you get on children's glasses these days.
    I've also had 3 children in recent years who have had to wear a patch for a few hours a day. Other children have been curious, but haven't teased them about it. 2 of the children used to refuse to put them on at home, but were always fine when we put them on at school. We used to make a big fuss about whatever the picture was on the patch that day - they do make really good designs for young children.
    My own daughter is another one who tried to trick me into believing that she needed glasses when she was about that age: she insisted that the television looked all blurry (or all "blimey" as she put it), but passed her eye test with flying colours when I took her to the optician's.

18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A lot more children in Reception wear glasses nowadays due to the excellent screening, I suppose. The styles are much more stylish than they used to be and I don't know of anyone getting teased.

19. My younger brother wore an eye-patch with glasses for a couple of years (nursery and reception). He had a lazy eye, which they thought was correctable, but very severe. He wore his patch all day. He had different stickers for his patch, and wore glasses too.
    A few years later, the doctor says that it's not going to get any better, although it has improved. And it turned And we've been left with mountains of sticky eye-patches - which come in handy as emergency plasters, especially for grazed elbows!
    It didn't effect him at all as a child, he never complained about it either.

20. I normally have 2 children in class with glasses.
    My son had to wear patches in Year 1 for several months for half a day as his brain was not acknowledging he had a left eye! He was seen as an icon with everyone in a morning wanting to know what patch he had on that day. They do ones with aliens,pirates, cars, robots etc now. All the kids think they are great. It is better to wear them for school rather than at home as they like them to do close up work with them on.
    Two years on he still wears glasses but his prescription has changed incredibly. They do say that you need to get them early as after 7 years it is so much harder to correct eye problems.
    Good luckx