1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do it now or wait another year? Do it now or wait another year? Advice please.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Muzelle, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Muzelle

Muzelle New commenter

I have a place on the music PGCE course in Canterbury, but I live in London and am very hesitant to leave my home. Come next June it would be impossible to find something similar if I wanted to move back to London. Options then are a daily commute to Kent or renting additional accommodation in Kent for the duration of the course. Both are expensive options and I've just learned that my grant has been reduced to reflect the location of study (it was originally calculated based on study in London). Either way will end up costing me money. Another option then is to apply in September to a London institution for 2012 and do that course comfortably from home. I'll be another year older (I'm already middle aged) and there is always the risk that I wouldn't be offered a place.....It may seem like I'm simply procrastinating, but if I was due to start at a London institution now I'd be genuinely excited by the prospect of the course.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What would you do for the next year if you didn't start the course?
    At least half of your PGCE is spent on placement, and your placements may not be all that close to your university - it depends what schools they can find to take on student teachers. It may be that your university can organise placements that are closer to London, meaning that you could commute from home. It's definitely worth speaking to them about whether this would be possible.

Another option is to sub-let your place in London to fund accommodation in Kent.

Of course you can reapply for next year, but as you say, you won't necessarily get offered a place. If you do, you'll be finishing your PGCE at the same time as you could have been finishing your NQT year if you'd started the course this year. So you'll be losing out on a year's worth of teaching experience and pay if you don't start now. Perhaps being a step further up the pay scale will make up for the expenses incurred either commuting to Kent or renting accommodation there?