1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do international schools publish their exam results?

Discussion in 'International Baccalaureate' started by alex_teccy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Tell Mercosur, Asean, Apec, Comisa etc etc that.
    Most nations - unless they are sitting on vast amounts of natural resources - also have far lower standards of living than the UK.

2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

The function of these blocs is trade, not political centralisation. They do not excercise control over member nations macro-economic policy, borders and law.
    Singapore? Korea? Japan? Australia? NZ? Canada? By contrast Venezuela is a nation with vast natural resources, bathed in tropical sun to grow all manner of crops, yet has been reduced to penury. It has much to do with political choice. Being in the EU is a political choice, not a moral one.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Oh its rational resentment;)

4. alex_teccy

You hijacked this thread, decided you did not like my politics and had a pop at me. Seriously, wind your neck in. If you want to bust my chops go and do it on the Brexit thread, I'll give you an ass-whooping there.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

yasf did say that "most" - not all - nations have far lower living standards than UK so picking 6 that don't doesn't really negate his point. UK in 2018 was ranked 22nd of 192 countries so yes, most other countries do have lower standards of living. [I realise that what "standard of living means" and how you measure it is endlessly arguable - I've quoted GDP per capita from this table only because it was top google result - but whichever dataset you use is going to produce rankings of this order, even if different in detail.]

alex_teccy likes this.
  6. alex_teccy

Sure, but my point was that prosperity is not dependent on being on the EU. If it were, why would the EU be trying to make holes in it's own customs union by making deals with 3rd party nations?

7. dumbbells66

Ass whooping, please get over yourself. You have made me laugh though. Just the thought of someone with your world view, and your over inflated view on the importance of the Uk working in an international setting....seriously, it makes me laugh so hard.

8. alex_teccy

You know nothing of my world view, only one that you've generalised from your own bigoted views of leavers.
    I'm flattered you're giving little me such thought. However, I'm not remotely interested in your personal circumstances, although I do wish you all the best in your endeavours.

9. yasf

Singapore outsources its poverty to Malaysia, Australia and Canada both sit on enormous natural resources and South Korea has a lower standard of living than the UK does. They are all also members of their own respective regional trading blocs.
    and the 6 he did pick didn't for the reasons given above.

10. alex_teccy

My point is that being prosperous is not dependent on being in the EU, neither necessarily on having resources, which is why I gave the example of Venezuela. Germany, France and the UK were amongst the largest economies of the world before the EU accelerated it's growth to polictical union. Bear in mind that since the signing of the treaty of Rome growth has been poor in the Eurozone.
    If the EU was just a trading block, I don't think we'd be having this discussion!

11. yasf

Bit of a red herring. You could mention others too like Nigeria. The issue in both countries is corruption.
    Ignoring the fact that the ToR was signed in 1957, and the Eurozone didn't really come into force until the 21st century, I should point out that the original 6 had significantly higher growth than the UK in the 1957 to 1973 period, which is why we joined.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  12. dumbbells66

Stop trying to talk logic to someone thst thinks Brexit is a good idea.... it only confuses and scares them ;)

yasf likes this.
  13. yasf

That's the problem with reading alt-right media. It rots the brain.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  14. alex_teccy

National self-determination and democracy are not "alt-right". They are enshrined in Article 1 of the U.N. Declaration and form the basis for world peace and international order.

15. alex_teccy

It's not a red-herring. The example was given to illustrate the point about political choices. You could also compare a trading nation such as South Korea with a non-trading nation such as North-Korea (which was left with the best share of natural resources after the Korean war) to see that prosperity is built on trade, not protectionism.

Wealth is created by trade. Non-European countries are beating Europe at trade. Some in the European Commission acknowledge this fact, which is why they have turbo-charged their efforts to make trade deals since the Financial Crash with South Korea, Canada, the US, Japan, Singapore, Vietnam and South America, but the EU has only managed to fully implement one deal with South Korea, because vested interests in European Agriculture and Industry oppose trade deals.

The non-European world beating them at trade and growing at more than twice the rate of the EU? The EU growth rate has slowed in every decade since it started. EU Members were growing at an average of 5% per annum when it started, but are now growing at around 1%. Some aren’t growing at all. Italy hasn’t grown for two decades. Greece has shrunk. The EU is 7% of world production, but it has 50% of the world’s debts and social costs.

16. yasf

No, but the idea that our membership of the EU runs contrary to these concepts is.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  17. yasf

There are so many fallacies in this passage, I barely know where to begin - so I won't.

To go back to your original question, suffice it to say that, yes, most schools do publish their exam results but there is no requirement as such. Naturally schools will want to make the results put them into a good light, so you'll need other sources of info. on schools if you're making a decision where to go. ISR is one source, although it does have issues as people are more likely to post on it if they have had a negative experience. The longer you are on the circuit, the more likely you are to know people (or know someone that does) that work at a school you are interested in. Hope that helps, and good luck with your new adventure :).

PS - there are plenty of other rabid Brexiters working in international schools, so don't worry. We're not all loony remainers. With a bit of luck you'll next be having this debate with a cocktail in one hand while sitting by a pool in December. The international life can be great!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    dumbbells66 likes this.
  18. alex_teccy

Thanks Yasf, I appreciate that.

yasf likes this.
  19. dumbbells66

really? because I have not come across one person that doesn't think its nothing but a disaster and made our country a laughing stock all over the world.

I will agree that international life is awesome. 2 days left, then 3 weeks off :)

yasf likes this.
  20. yasf

Well, I might have exaggerated a bit with the word 'plenty', but there are some :)

dumbbells66 likes this.