1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do international schools care what your degree is in if you have experience teaching the subject?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by UCLAW, Jan 30, 2019.

1. UCLAW

UCLAW New commenter

Hi all,
    I want to hit the international circuit but I am not sure if I stand a chance. I have a PGCE in English and have been teaching the subject for 2 years. I don't have an English degree but a Classics degree- the study of literature and language of the Greeks and Romans. Will this be heavily disadvantageous to my employability? All input would be greatly appreciated.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It varies. Some countries require they match, or they won’t issue a visa. Other than that, most schools don’t care.
    So start looking. You’re in with a chance.

yasf and ed717 like this.
  3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I agree with gulfgolf. And, frankly, I've come across a shedload of 'teachers' who were largely clueless about the subjects they did have degrees in.

yasf likes this.
  4. ed717

ed717 New commenter

My degree is French and International Development (Geography based) though my PGCE is in French and German. I have still been able to teach Geography up to GCSE in both the UK and abroad (Sri Lanka) so it is possible! :)

*If anything, schools like it if you can teach more than one subject, you're more employable!

5. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

Few schools give a damn, even then only because of visa regulations. Knock UAE off your list of schools to approach, not sure about which other countries have that kind of rule.

6. UCLAW

UCLAW New commenter

That is a relief..
    I am interested in teaching in South East Asia, does anyone know if there are such visa requirements for Vietnam or Thailand?

7. february31st

february31st Established commenter

To be honest you are over qualified for 99% of the jobs in Vietnam and Thailand!

8. UCLAW

UCLAW New commenter

That may be true, but I think most people here want a job in a decent international school and in that I meet the minimum.

9. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Some schools do - the academic ones. There are the "facilitator" schools where being clueless subject wise doesn't matter. Eg ones that rhyme with Lexus. Then there ones where pure subject knowledge matters and none of those fancy teaching methods required. Just tell them what you know. And some in between.

Many lower tier or sub 3rd tier schools just require a pulse though.

makhnovite likes this.
  10. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

I have a BA in Classics and MA in Ancient History, though my PGCE is in German with French (I'm half German). I have taught nothing but German in the last 9 years and I am now on my second international school, as a German teacher. I know some countries require your degree to be in your teaching subject for visa purposes, but not all.