1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do international schools accept/value ITT from uk independant schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Arsenalfc, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Arsenalfc

Arsenalfc New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am considering applying for an ITT position at a UK independant school. It is a two year course that offers PGCE and is through the HMC programme. My eventual goal is to teach abroad, so will head teachers of British International Schools accept and value this training route as highly as the maintained schools School Direct route?

Any other comments on pros or cons for this training route would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Arsenalfc

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

It depends on where you see yourself working and that particular country's visa rules. Some accept it and some do not.

3. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Do you end up with a pgce and qts? If so then it's the same anywhere. I did the training route and it hasn't been an issue. If anything an advantage as I've been classed as being a teacher throughout. So those two years have been seen as employed/experience, as I was based in one school. Good luck

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would say that a PGCE with QTS is more valued than QTS gained through School Direct. But that is my experience in one country, and others may have different opinions to share.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

If you do apply, NB that it's independEnt.

Arsenalfc likes this.
  6. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Look into what school direct offers. I did it and gained a PGCE and QTS. So you can get a PGCE and QTS just do your research into what qualification the connected Uni are offering. They all differ!