1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do IEPs merely duplicate subject targets? Can anyone advise please?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Rhea, Mar 6, 2011.

1. New SENCO has decided that in our school (secondary), IEPs will be based on subject specific targets in English, Maths and Science.
    I always assumed IEPs were broader in scope?
    Subject specific targets are given already to pupils and parents. Is there any point in duplicating these in an IEP?

2. R13

R13 New commenter

IEPs should address the individual SEN of each child - matching them to the curriculum subjects is not appropropriate - though you may have for example an overlap with a poor reader. Thius mistake is often made i schools where there are low scores in cire subjects so all the lower ability kids are called SEN as an excuse

3. R13 has it in a nutshell. If the targets are what the other students are aiming at, that's not what we're about. IEP targets need to be much more specific if they're anything at all. Special needs provision must be what is additional to the provision for all students, including the targets. Sounds to me like the SENCo is trying to get away from IEPs, which is justifiable - there have been many arguments put forward for doing so - but then you have to go the other route (provision mapping). There is no legal requirement for an IEP except for a Statemented student. For the rest, you must show that you are making provision which is individualised and additional to what you do for most students, that's all. How you do that is really up to you. Many people have broken down the National Curriculum skills into finer targets, it's not too difficult. It might be worth having a discussion about IEPs vs provision-mapping, though very few schools make an absolute choice between the two.

4. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I'm glad the key is still 'individual'!