1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I want to teach?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by nellen93, Mar 13, 2016.

1. nellen93

nellen93 New commenter

Hi everyone!
    This is my first post on here- I have done a lot of reading over the years but never posting!
    I am an NQT (qualified July 2015). I did a 4 year BA QTS course and received a 2:1 with a distinction in teaching practice. Last year I applied for many teaching jobs and had 6 interviews but was unsuccessful in all of them (usually because they had students on placements at the schools who they wanted to employ). Since September I have been doing day to day supply teaching which I have had a generally good experience with, but I haven't been good at coping with the uncertainty of work, no holiday pay and last minute calls! Because of this I decided to apply for a nursery assistant job which is a maternity cover until August, with the intention to apply for teaching jobs for September in the mean time. I started at the nursery a few weeks ago and I love it!
    Even during my degree I have always questioned whether I actually want to be a teacher- I love working with children but I don't feel I am strong enough to cope with the work load and stress. I want to leave work at work and go home and enjoy my family, hobbies, friends etc which i feel is impossible for a teacher. Working at the nursery has made me question it further- I am really enjoying my time there and it has made me remember how rewarding working with children is. I am not saying i want to be a a nursery assistant forever as the pay is about half of a teacher and I am extremely over qualified, but I am also really unsure I want to be a teacher. I have looked into room leader/nursery manager/deputy manager roles and these really appeal to me.
    My dilemma is- should I try to get a teaching job and complete my NQT year then re-assess how I feel about teaching, or should I look into alternative careers? I feel a lot of pressure from my family to go into teaching as they were so supportive while I was at uni and they warned me not to get complacent at the nursery and to only do it as a temporary thing until September. I also feel like I chose to go to uni when I was 17 and I had no idea what I wanted to do, only that I wanted to work with children. However if I never did go into teaching I think a part of me would always think 'what if...', as I know I do have the potential to be a good teacher.
    Overall, I just want a job that is fun and busy/ challenging but not to the point of stress. I don't want my life to be based around work!
    Sorry for the long post, any advice or wisdom would be much appreciated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It's a long post, but it's the final parts that interest me, the summing up.

Of course.

If course!

You must be aware by now that the world of teaching is not in a good position at present. That very many teachers find it very stressful, and feel that their lives are dominated by their work. But many others still find it a fascinating job that they would not wish to give up, despite the pressures.

You are currently in the position of being able to judge from your own experience whether either or both of the jobs - teaching or nursery - feel good for you. You may need to bear in mind that the stress of insecure income and last-minute calls for supply would be exchanged by the stress of the extra pressures on full-time teachers (observations, data, initiatives, etc.) that pass by supply teachers.

Which in you really feels best? It's got to be a job and a future for you, not for anyone else. If you think that getting a teaching job and completing your induction year would be a good insurance, allowing you to to be flexible in your career path, then now is a good time to start applying. And I can give you support with your application.

Best wishes

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I think you need to want to teach, if you are to survive any time doing it.
    The other roles you talk about with much more conviction.