1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I want a crock pot?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rustybug, Jun 23, 2011.

1. My mum is wondering whether to get me one for my birthday. I do make bolognese and chilli and occasionally lamb shanks that I like to cook for hours until very tender, which I normally do in a Le Creuset in the oven. Do I need one? Will it be worth the space? Will the above mentioned dishes be less yummy? Or more so?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

As well as cooking meat (and soups) beautifully the great thing about the slow cooker is that you can set it off, go out for the day, and dinner is really quick to get on the table when you get back.
    My favourites in the slow cooker:
    Lamb shanks
    Spare ribs (cooked in cider)
    Brisket of beef

3. Everything tastes the same!!!!!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

By 'crock-pot- - you mean slow cooker?
    Oh rustybug, what a funny, stupid question! Of course you want a slow cooker. Actually, you don't just want one, you need one! Everyone does! Slow Cookers are just amazing!
    You can do your slow-cooked lamb shanks and chilli et.c in the pot...but so much more! All sorts of things! Including desserts like rice pudding.
    And it is so economical. Really cheap to run. And you can prepare the meal and then go out for the day and come back to tasty dinners.
    Phone/Write/Visit your mum right now...go on!.....tell her you love her...thank her for thinking of such an amazing pressie...bring her flowers and chocolate to show your gratitude...go now!
    (I really love my slow cooker!)

5. Aw, Beth what a lovely post! And thanks to Bomsaff too.
    Which sort should I tell her to get?

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Lakeland Ltd do a good, standard slow-cooker. They do a small (2 person) or large (6 person) model. Both my slowcookers have been from Lakeland (The first served me well for many years until he was cruelly assassinated by the bathroom floor/kitchen ceiling falling on him!....and I now have an almost identical replacement)
    But there are lots of bargains to be found at supermarkets.

7. My mum got me a cookworks one and it's huge. It was inexpensive too. I make all the above in mine but also bolegnese (sp?)

8. And how strange that was that Beth popped up on a slow cooker thread!!

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No it doesn't, it only tastes the same if you put the same herbs/vegetables in. Vary what you cook and things do taste very different.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Would you use different herbs and vegetables then, if you were using a slow cooker as opposed to a conventional method?
    I wouldn't, because I like it to taste the same.

11. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Get one! As another poster commented, brisket of beef is fantastic in the slow cooker.

12. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Established commenter

How much is the good value supermarket one instead of a more expensive Lakeland one?

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've only done brisket in mine once but will be doing it again soon. A really cheap cut but cooked that way it was the tastiest piece of beef I have ever had. Plus the water and veg cooked with it give you stock for excellent gravy.

14. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

no you don't want a 'crock pot' you're English so want a slow cooker.... :)

mine was from asda, something like a .8ltr on, feeds 2 of us happily with anything I make, and makes extra for the freezer.

I make everything from curry, hot pot, stew, ribs etc.

they taste very different!!

15. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

oh meant to say mine from asda was about £6

16. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Mine was Tesco - £9 or £10 x

17. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Established commenter

That's very cheap - I think I may treat myself to one as it sounds as though there's not much washing up and I can ask for advice on here.
    Is it safe to leave it on while you are out?
    I think I'd be worrying all day - a bit like leaving the iron on.

18. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It uses the same amount of energy as a lightbulb.
    Most people would be happy to leave a light on...

19. Opening the door upon returning from work to a lovely smell is almost as good at the hit you get when a valium kicks in.
    yes you want one and need one.
    Beef skirt, lentils, wine yum yum. The internet is full of ideas you won't regret it and will become a 'slow cooker' evangelist as I have.

20. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

the watts it uses is so low its silly, it would be like leaving your oven on (s) all night and use far less energy.

what you have to get your head around is its 'slow' so u wont see it do anything, and its a low heat, so not like leaving a pan on boil for a day.