1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I use the NC POS to plan when my school doesn't use PNS?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rachel.webb, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi,
    This is my first post on a forum! I am a PGCE student and have just started PP2 in a mixed y3/4 class. The school don't appear to have any MTP that I can see and do not use the PNS but APP to inform planning. This may sound stupid ( and I will ask my class teacher ), but does this mean that I will use the POS in the NC to plan my lessons once I know the prior learning? In Uni we have been focussing on the PNS document which is why I am asking. I've looked into APP on the internet and understand the principles. Any advice would be great ( I am only required to teach and plan core subjects at this stage).
    Many Thanks.

2. Hi,
    This is my first post on a forum! I am a PGCE student and have just started PP2 in a mixed y3/4 class. The school don't appear to have any MTP that I can see and do not use the PNS but APP to inform planning. This may sound stupid ( and I will ask my class teacher ), but does this mean that I will use the POS in the NC to plan my lessons once I know the prior learning? In Uni we have been focussing on the PNS document which is why I am asking. I've looked into APP on the internet and understand the principles. Any advice would be great ( I am only required to teach and plan core subjects at this stage).
    Many Thanks.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We use the NC to plan and teach, based largely on APP judgements but also on target levels. The strategy is not used in as many schools as it was and people have become disillusioned with it.

I use this document to help, once I knew the levels, though in a year 3/4 mixed ability class you will probably be looking at level 2/3. (Click where it says supporting document.)

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/learning/west_sussex_grid_for_learning/curriculum/mathematics/primary_mathematics/assessment/progression_through_sublevels.aspx