1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I tell them exactly what I think?

Discussion in 'History' started by sulis, Feb 29, 2012.

1. hi everyone,

after months of waiting, a History job at my perfect school has come up, but I'm a bit stuck on what to say in the letter of application.
    The school want 2 sides of A4 on what I think about the teaching and learning of History in secondary schools - something which I've never been asked to do before.
    Do I put down my own experiences?
    Do I say that I am in favour of chronological rather than thematic History?
    I personally would like to see History teachers liberated from all of the political interfering which has taken place over the years since I did my A levels in 1988, and a return to a knowledge based academic subject - but will the school hate this?
    I have 10 years of teaching the subject, but I'm scared to death of this letter of application! i just want to teach a subject which has consummed my thoughts and soul since I can remember.
    Any advice gratefully received
    Sulis xx

2. Is it possible to tell anything from the school's website or prospectus - particularly the History Department's page - about their view of History teaching, sulis? You may be able to read between the lines.

3. You need to address teaching and learning as two different issues for a start.