1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I tell my current school I'm going for an interview?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by aseasyasthat, May 2, 2011.

1. Dear All
    I've started applying for jobs having spent my NQT year at a school that's been unsupportive and unprofessional. If I get an interview, do I tell the school I am at? Things are delicate at the moment due to a poor relationship with my HOD. Although the school were initially supportive, when I pressed them to take action they withdrew their support and threatened me with a poor reference, despite being told I've been doing an excellent job.
    Advice please?

2. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Yes let them know, if they really don't lke you they may well give you a good reference, I hear this happens, if I was a head and though you were useless I wouldn't do it but hey.

3. Advice now is to take up references before inviting for interview I believe, so your school might know before you do that you have been shortlisted - its considered good form to let your Head know you are applying for this reason - you don't have to cite the fact they are pants as your reason, could be because you need to move closer/further away from family, career advancement, different career direction etc etc....
    Good luck :)

4. Super, thank you.