1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I stay or do I go?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Sinkingship, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I currently have a short term contract till March, but my manager has hinted on it becoming more permanent. She has also offered me to do plenty of training, some of which takes a year, another hint of it being permanent maybe?
    However the other issue is I have spotted a perfect job, closer to home with a pay rise. Do I try and go for this job? However if I am unsuccessful with this job opportunity am I going to be up the creek without a paddle especially with the opportunities offered in my current role?
    Any advice please?

2. I currently have a short term contract till March, but my manager has hinted on it becoming more permanent. She has also offered me to do plenty of training, some of which takes a year, another hint of it being permanent maybe?
    However the other issue is I have spotted a perfect job, closer to home with a pay rise. Do I try and go for this job? However if I am unsuccessful with this job opportunity am I going to be up the creek without a paddle especially with the opportunities offered in my current role?
    Any advice please?

3. You can't plan a secure future on hints.
    I'd be tempted to get the details of the new post, start pulling an application together, and in the meantime ask your line manager outright how secure your contract is as you have to make plans. if they don't come up with a permanent or extended offer, your dilemma is resolved.

4. Thankyou, you've given me a kick up the backside. I came to the same conclusion, just needed someone else to say it. I've applied for the new position!