1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I stand a chance?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by weasel1974, Jan 8, 2016.

1. weasel1974

weasel1974 New commenter

Hi All,

I'm a 41 year old married man with 2 young children (1 and 3). I have a BSc in Maths and a PGCE in secondary Maths. I've been teaching successfully in the UK for the last 13 years.

I'm hoping to get a job teaching Maths in China/Thailand (any international school that has the right package) and I'm just wondering if I am likely to be a viable candidate. My issue is that although my wife is also an experienced teacher, she wants to spend time with our children and therefore would not be working (at least for the next year or so). Is this likely to lead schools to turn their nose up at me, or should it not be too much of a problem?

We're interested in moving abroad for a variety of reasons: the experience, better work life balance (for my wife at least) and hopefully to be able to save a bit of money.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Some schools might turn up their noses but not all will. Some won't be bothered at all. Your best bet is to look at what jobs are on offer, apply and see what happens. Come back when you've got some offers and ask on here if you want to know more about certain places (just don't use any school names).

3. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. I have taught in several countries and found it rewarding.

4. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

There's only one situation where you won't have a chance, and that's if you don't try.

Get applying, get emailing and get yourself out there to interviews / job fairs.

He who dares, Rodney. He who dares!

Kartoshka likes this.
  5. ian60

ian60 New commenter

You are still quite young, you are qualified, you teach a shortage subject and have a lot of experience.

A lot of schools would jump at the chance to employ you, regardless of whether your wife wats to work yet.

Up to what level have you taught? You would obviously be more attractive if you have taught A'levels/IB

6. weasel1974

weasel1974 New commenter

Thanks for all the replies - I have taught mainly GCSE, but have taught A-Level a while ago. I'm sure I could get back into it fairly quickly though.

I have been asked to go to a fair in London tomorrow. I'll let you all know how I get on!

Thanks again.

7. susiez

susiez New commenter

HI I am considering applying for a job in Thailand quite near Pattaya
    concerned about my age 59!! will I be considered too old
    experienced secondary English teacher

8. weasel1974

weasel1974 New commenter

Well I just got back from the job fair in London - I have been told by one of the principals that I should receive a call from one of the other principals in the group (a school in Chongqing) within a few days for a second interview. I guess I was worrying about nothing as so far it looks like it's not really an issue (at least for this group of schools)

While I'm on here, has anyone got any useful information on Chongqing? I'm fairly sold on the place, but I think my wife might need a little more convincing!

Susiez I'm afraid I have no idea about the answer to your question as I'm new to international jobs - hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you though.

Thanks

susiez likes this.
  9. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Susiez, its not that your experience will be doubted rather it will be issues over the visa. Not sure about Thailand but some countries have a maximum age requirement. So check with the Thai visa section.

10. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Definitely give it a go. If applying to IB Diploma schools, take a look at the Mathematical Studies course so you can talk about teaching that. Maths HL and SL are more challenging, but as a good mathematician, I agree you should be able to pick them up.

Is your wife willing to consider part-time or supply work? If so mention that on applications, sometimes (not always) that is attractive to schools and from her perspective is a foot in the door if she wants to return to full time teaching in a year or so.

11. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Good Morning weasel1974,

That's very promising news - good luck. I am also applying for international positions, though my subject is history which I am aware isn't a demand area. I have two children that I would be taking with me - aged 4 & 6 by the summer. My husband would not be directly accompanying us as he is an international medic which means he works monthly shift patterns - it also means it doesn't matter where we are located as he can fly home anywhere. I would be looking to put them in to the school I was working at and also getting some domestic help. I was wondering if you mentioned your dependents in your letter of application or waited until the interview. I have been called to interview in London for two positions but I'm not sure if I should email the schools and advise them of my situation or if I should wait until meeting them in person. From your conversations at the job fair do you think they would prefer to know before the interview stage or do you think it might make you less attractive on paper and it would be better to sell yourself in person then explain?

12. weasel1974

weasel1974 New commenter

Hi Cjg44,

I applied through an agency but I did make my situation clear to them from the outset as I didn't want to go along to interviews I had no chance of getting. That said it really didn't seem to matter about the children - loads of people at the fair had them so I think it's kind of expected that you might have them.

I hope this helps a little, and good luck with your interviews!

13. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Thank you for this.

I will email the school's that I am invited for interview and advise of my circumstances. I will also try to word it positively in my future letters of application. It was only after reading your post and then applying to SEARCH that I became aware that it was something that should be mentioned straight away. Think I was just viewing it from the perspective of UK appointments where it isn't something you would place on your CV or in your letter.

Now just to think of the best way to place it in my letter....

Thank you again.

14. susiez

susiez New commenter

HI than you for the reply I will check that out x

15. weasel1974

weasel1974 New commenter

Hi again cjg44, I think rather than trying to put it in your letter I would just add a line onto you C.V. saying number of dependants (you could include their ages here too).

16. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Thanks for the advice - I emailed to advice the two schools that I have been invited for interview. In future though I will add it in to my CV.
    Much appreciated.