1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I really need two cellphones?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TexanTeacher2013, Dec 23, 2018.

1. TexanTeacher2013

TexanTeacher2013 New commenter

Hello all,
    I've accepted a position in China and preparing for the big move. The American teachers I'm in contact with recommend bringing two unlocked phones, one for US and one for China. I don't understand why two phones are needed. Is it possible to bring one phone and buy a Chinese sim card and switch between the two as needed? All recommendations warranted.

2. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

One will do, and that should be a non-Chinese one as you won't get any of the 'good' apps on a Chinese phone (Insta, Facebook, Google, Twitter, Youtube...). You can easily download wechat, alipay and other essential apps you need in China on a foreign bought phone. Chinese bought sim card will work in any phone.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

One cell phone purchased outside of China will be sufficient. Cellphones purchased now in China have firmware that restricts what apps you want to download, unless you root the phone and install your own flavour of android. This is within the Android terms of use as long as the manufacturer complies with the general release conditions.

Apple devices are generally setup to allow software that complies with Chinese regulations to be installed within China and can install all software outside of China.

You will find a China Telecom sim card has better coverage in Asia compared to any American sim card. It is also a lot cheaper to use a China Telecom account in Asia than any other countries sim card.

Chinese brand mobile's are excellent value for money and can be easily rooted in the market repair shops.

4. TexanTeacher2013

Will I be able to receive calls from the states? I understand family and friends will contact me via Wechat, but what about businesses, for example, a credit card merchant from the states?

5. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

I can't answer the questio above, but perhaps it might be worth looking for a phone with slots for two SIM cards. I've got one so I can use both Spanish and UK SIMs with the same phone. Works great.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Do you really need one cellphone, never mind two?

7. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

We bought Samsung J5 dual-sim phones before we went to China - no problems with them - very easy to change from one sim to the other and only cost about 130 euros each, 18 months ago. Just leave both sims in the phone and change over in 'settings'. Simples!

TexanTeacher2013 likes this.
  8. february31st

february31st Established commenter

With a dual SIM phone on one card can be used at any one time. If you want 247 calls from the US a second mobile will have to be used.

TexanTeacher2013 likes this.
  9. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Occasional commenter

What does this mean? What is a "credit card merchant"?

10. TexanTeacher2013

A simple google search would answer this question, but I don't mind assisting to aid in your contribution to the discussion. According to Wiki, "A merchant account is a type of bank account that allows businesses to accept payments in multiple ways, typically debit or credit cards. A merchant account is established under an agreement between an acceptor and a merchant acquiring bank for the settlement of payment card transactions." Hopefully, this helps.

11. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

A dual sim phone is the way to go. I've used them for several years and with Android each SIM icon is always displayed (one named for my home country, UK, the other my host country) and I just press whichever SIM I want to call or text from after I've written my message or entered a number.

This isn't true - both SIMs work simultaneously. The only time there is a clash is if somebody calls you whilst you're on another call - but there is the usual call waiting facility - though this is true of any cell phone (which dual or mono SIM).

Dual SIMs are so much easier than carrying two phones (which I did when I initially moved abroad).

12. sparklesparkle

I'm afraid this just demonstrates your inability to understand noun phrases. I trust you aren't an English teacher?

You have provided a definition for a merchant account but in post 4 you referred to a "credit card merchant from the States". This would indicate you are referring to an account holder, someone who is trying to process payments to or from you, rather than the account itself. Why would such people need to phone you in any case? What line of business are you in, exactly?

The meaning of "All recommendations warranted." remains a mystery!

13. TexanTeacher2013

Sparkle or rather Diminished sparkle,
    Its apparent you don't grasp semantics or pragmatics for that manner. As I've instructed in the past if you don't have positive or relevant input, pls be a good boy and skadoodle.

14. TexanTeacher2013

I appreciate all of the comments except for a certain dispirited one. I will check with the local phone vendors to find a dual card Iphone. I've heard (from Americans) T-Mobile is one of the best unlimited carriers with an inexpensive International plan.

15. sparklesparkle

"Instructed"? Seriously?

I explained the semantics to you. Pragmatics have no relevance here - I suggest you look the word up.

The correct word is "skedaddle" and I'm not a boy.

You're welcome.

16. TexanTeacher2013

Last comment Sparkly Disaster,

Examples of pragmatic skills:
    • Conversational skills
    • Asking for, giving and responding to information
    • Introducing and maintaining topics
    • Making relevant contributions to a topic

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Let's be genuine and authentically support each other. This is an example of a post I read on ISR recenly. Just because people work Internationally doesn't mean they're International minded. Expats need to consider possibly working with disingenuous and malevolent people. Sparkle, this is the last time I give you my energy.

17. TexanTeacher2013

As an international educator you should be aware of word variations within cultures.

skadoodle
    (Verb)
    1. To leave with haste
    2. To perform a dance step while doodling

More often than not #1 is used.
    1. It's 3:34am, I better skadoodle!
    2. I'm so talented, I can skadoodle and still look this good!

Smh........Good day, ma'am. I'd prefer to keep our interactions minimal......better yet nonexistent. You're welcome.

18. sparklesparkle

Just because people work as teachers (supposedly), it doesn't mean that they are pleasant people to be around.

For example, they find it humorous to joke about IEPs. They actually think it's funny or a slur to suggest that someone has special needs. And they think it's entirely normal to call other forum-users disingenuous and malevolent.

Keep working at your English skills. Keep working at being a well-adjusted human being.

You will need the best of luck for both.

19. sparklesparkle

There are no google hits whatsoever for your definition.

You faked it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?saf........0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.k6vlnnmw1Ts

There is a definition in the urban dictionary but it refers to, shall we say, adult activities.

If you really are a teacher and not an EFL merchant, you may wish to consider whether this is an appropriate word to use in everyday conversation.

20. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I have had my dual sim phone since October. I love it. My sim1 is the uk one with the data and apps. My sim2 is a pay as you go from my home country.