1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I REALLY need to have a smear test?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by giotto, Mar 11, 2009.

1. serenitypolly41

serenitypolly41 Occasional commenter

Crikey I think you've got every body part covered!! Bowel cancer screening is something that I really should do actually.

2. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Hi there!

I am wondering whether anyone can shed light on a somewhat confusing results letter I received today from the hospital.

In October I had a colposcopy for removal of a cervical polyp, which was found to be (much to my relief!) a 'harmless polyp'.

Early in February I had a follow-up smear at the same clinic in the hospital. Today I received a letter with the following wording:

"Following your recent visit to the Colposcopy clinic, I am pleased to inform you that everything appears to be normal and you do not need to be seen in clinic again.

I would be grateful if you would see your GP for your routine cervical screening."

I am wondering why I have been advised to see my GP after a recent normal smear test for another one?! I am going to phone the hospital tomorrow, but in the meantime I am having a bit of a panic....

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

3. StarbucksCovfefe

StarbucksCovfefe Occasional commenter

To me it means, just return to your GP when your next routine smear is due, rather than to the clinic.

Definitely no reason to panic.

4. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Thanks for the reassurance, Starbucks. I was thinking maybe that was a possibility....

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I agree - return for your routine test when it is due. Glad you're normal - it's always nice to know :):)

6. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Spoke to my doctor today - that's exactly what it means - thank goodness. The surgery did agree with me that the letter hasn't been worded terribly clearly!

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes.
    Yes you do.