1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I really have to tell my school if I apply for another teaching post?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by PythagorasPython, Jan 1, 2016.

1. PythagorasPython

PythagorasPython New commenter

I'm fairly new to teaching and have worked in the private sector on and off for the past 20 years. I was told that in the world of teaching I must tell the HoD if I'm applying for a job in another school! This is very strange to me and I'm not sure it's even true. If I don't get the job, everybody then knows I want to leave... awkward. Is this really how it must be done or is this more pressure to never leave? Thanks for your advice!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

You see, in another job two things are possible:

1) You can go to an interview by taking a day's annual leave.

2) You can ask for references not to be taken up unless you are going to be offered the job subject to references.

Neither is possible in teaching.

So not only your HoD but your Head must be told before you apply, so that you can ask, ask not tell, ask for the time off to go to an interview.

They are not obliged to give you permission to go to an interview, but they usually do.

But do remember to ask nicely, as it is at the Head's discretion.

For advice on how to write that application, go down to JobSeekers and start a thread there asking for help on this.

Best wishes for 2016

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

@TheoGriff has said it all really. Incidentally I now work in the voluntary sector and wouldn't consider applying elsewhere without letting my manager know.