1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Do I quit?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by benson2081, Apr 18, 2017.

  1. benson2081

    benson2081 New commenter

    In the Easter holidays I have been given my dream job working with animals. I am an Math teacher currently, the new job have said they will hold it for me until I can start in July. My issue is I have verbally accepted an Math teacher position at another school a month back. I have not signed anything but am still feeling stressed about how I will word my letter taking back the job and the confrontation I may receive about being professional. So much so I am doubting leaving teaching for my dream job, it is less money and a much longer commute which makes me think maybe I should be safe with good money and career development, however what is fuelling me is the "what if".
    I became a teacher so I could get this role for my dream job and i'm worried if I abide by the rules to save upsetting the school I will always regret not going for my dream. Could anyone offer advice on what to do?
  2. madmother

    madmother New commenter

    I'm a great believer in you don't ever want to live with 'what if'. If not taking your dream job would leave you with that feeling, then you should go for it. Yes, it may cause a bit of difficulty for the school involved as they will have to recruit again, but the sooner you are honest with them, explain the change in your circumstances (which could happen to anyone) and give them the opportunity to recruit, the better. You could only be unprofessional if you left it go to the last minute and didn't let them know.

    Thank them for offering you the post, but you have now had a change in your circumstances and can no longer take up their offer. You hope that they are able to appoint successfully for September.

    All the best

  3. install

    install Star commenter

    Send your apologies - go for the dream job...
  4. cb324

    cb324 Occasional commenter

    Go for it, if you let them know now they still have enough time to recruit someone, not like your telling them in August. Better to regret doing things than regret not doing things in my opinion
  5. lilachardy

    lilachardy Star commenter

    A similar thing happened at my last school.
    The candidate simply handed their notice in by the end of May in the usual way before they had started the job.
    People were disappointed but that's all.
    grumpydogwoman and install like this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

    schoolsout4summer Star commenter

    Screw it, just do it.
    Richard Branson
  7. DYNAMO67

    DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

    You have to do the maths here (no pun intended) I know everyone is saying 'go for it' But I am going to come at this from a head not heart position. Where do you want to be in five years? Can you get there on the money?

    If you can't get over the 'what if' then you will have to be prepared to accept the consequences of financial security.

    You will also have to accept the consequence of people being upset at this new school. I don't know the legal position well, but worst case scenario is this. You have entered into a contract. It isn't as simple as resigning and May deadlines as someone has suggested, as what you have is a pre-contract to start in August with a release of December. They presumably could hold you to this. Or look to recoup recruitment costs for your breach of the contract.

    I doubt they will mind you. You have been disingenuous from their point of view though going for a new job after accepting theirs. I accept this wasn't malicious, but if you are not going to honour the contract they need, and deserve, to know ASAP.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    As long as you have no issues with breaking your contract (you do realise that you have a contracr, don't you) then I doubt if it would affect your new career. Although it may make it hard to get back into teaching if you want to later. You could ask to be released from your new contract rather than just back out.
    les25paul likes this.
  9. binaryhex

    binaryhex Lead commenter

    Just do it. Life's too short. You can always go back to teaching if you need to as Maths is massively a shortage subject and your current school will provide a presumably reasonable reference - the other school is not part of the equation (ha ha get it, part of the equation).

    Your new school may moan a bit because Maths teachers are hard to appoint but so what? Your verbal acceptance of the job is a contract but also, so what - when was the last time you heard of a school suing a potential employee who changed their mind? And besides, they don't want someone who doesn't want to join them. If push came to shove, you can just make up something like e.g. the salary isn't what you were led to believe at interview, then it becomes a 'he said, she said' situation.
    Shedman likes this.
  10. Shedman

    Shedman Star commenter

    Write to the school, straight away explaining that since accepting their job verbally a job opportunity outside of teaching has arisen and that you will not now be available to start in September. That way they can get ads out in good time.

    The dream job you have been offered won't be the same job in, say, five years time - it may be better. With your numerate background, organisational and people skills if you work half as hard in your new job as you do in your current teaching role your employers will soon realise what a fantastic appointment they have made and promotion or wider opportunities may be available. Stay in teaching and you know exactly what will be happening in the future - exactly the same as what you do now but with even more stress, even less work life balance, never being good enough and despair at trying to get lazy students to work harder. Teaching will always be there to come back to and with the looming recruitment crisis you'll always be able to walk into a job but this job is your life's ambition, your dream - are you just going to just let it slip away? Seize the opportunity. Take a deep breathe, sharpen your resolve and make your dream happen!
  11. sadscientist

    sadscientist Senior commenter

    Yes, go for it.

    BUT....don't withdraw from the teaching post until you have written confirmation of the start date and T&C of the "dream job". Employers have been known to back out of verbal agreements too!
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Make a decision and let the relevant people know.
    Then move on.
    If it turns out to be the worst decision of your life, then you can do something else later.
    This isn't life or death, just go with the best option for you.(I'm a head not heart person, so would have a different view of 'best'.)
    Good luck and be happy with whatever you end up doing.
  13. 2004ajd

    2004ajd New commenter

    Go for the dream job! You could always return to teaching. If you had set up a poll it would be a no brainer.
    Good Luck and congratulations.
    install likes this.
  14. DYNAMO67

    DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

    I am not against per se. It is very easy to say 'go for it' when it isnt you taking the risk though. It isn't your lifestyle to be affected. It isn't you who can't afford to live etc.

    I for one wouldn't want to make a big call on the basis of a TES poll...
    wanet and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  15. les25paul

    les25paul Star commenter

    Consider it carefully, but if it really is your dream job then go for it, working with animals sounds interesting (and you do have experience of handling wild beasts :))

    If the school makes a fuss tell em that you have run off to join the Foreign Legion, will not be able to take up the Maths post for ten years but can be contacted at the following address: Fort Beau Geste, Sahara Desert, Africa.:D

    Seriously, explain to the school about this opportunity, its the career you were intending to move into in the future and that teaching was only a temporary choice, apologise a lot and thank them for their time. But be aware you are breaking a contract. Whilst its unlikely the school will take legal action you must realise that schools do talk to each other and your name might be blacklisted should you decide to return to teaching in the near future (but of course you wont :))
  16. jago123

    jago123 Established commenter

    What happens if the dream job is not what you expected it to be? What will you do then? Go back to teaching, find another career?
    You need to try and not burn your bridges.
    I don't think you know what you want to do.
  17. 2004ajd

    2004ajd New commenter

    The OP didn't say that they would face financial hardship even though the pay was less and let's be honest as a maths teacher they should find a return to teaching relatively easy if it's not what they expected.
    The OP also stated that they originally taught to enable them to achieve their dream job. Obviously no one would make such a big call on the result of a Tes Poll, I was a little flippant by including that but what I was trying to emphasise is that many people would go for the end dream and I wish the OP good luck!
    install likes this.
  18. wanet

    wanet Star commenter

    I agree that this has to be your decision. Weigh up the pros and cons. Many people do come on here asking what they should do. To stay anonomous OPs can never include enough detail, even if this was done all you are getting is opinions.

    When you do make your decision, include a backup plan. Too many don't seem to.

    Whatever you decide, best of luck.
  19. nomad

    nomad Star commenter

    Seems your current school does move you around a bit!
  20. johnsmithisokay267

    johnsmithisokay267 New commenter


Share This Page