1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I or don't I?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by brassedoff, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Can you apply for a post of responsibilty and not disclose that you may be pregnant? Where do I stand, legally is there a requirement for me to tell them before the interviewing process or can I tell them when I am ready afterwards?
    Please help
    Brassedoff

2. I don't think you have to tell them legally, but I don't think it would go down too well if you got it and turned around a few weeks later and said you're pg.
    I'd make sure you're definitely pregnant first. If you are, and still want the TLR, you could mention this in interview. I'm assuming the post is in your current school, where they know you well, so it might not bother them that you'll be off on mat leave, but I think you should say out of curtesy really. Just my opinion.
    Best of luck x

3. legally you being pregnant cannot affect their decision. i decided not to apply for a TLR when it came up as i was pregnant and it didn't sit right with me going for it knowing i was heading off on maternity leave. however colleagues have since said i was mad missing out on a promotion and should have gone for it.
    i wouldn't tell them, as if you do and then you don't get it, you'll always wonder if it was due to teh pregnancy.

4. Of course you can. Personally I would not take a promotion while pregnant for the reason that work is hard enough when you are pregnant anyway. But you may be 'bloomer' who gets no symptoms at all.

5. becky70

becky70 New commenter

No you don't have to tell. If the school is an enlightened one, if you're the best person for the job they will still want you anyway but of course many schools are not enlightened! There is a point at which you do have to tell the school but it's something like week 25 (I think) by which point they will probably be able to see for themselves.