1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need to write a covering letter???

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kristinh, Mar 26, 2016.

1. kristinh

kristinh New commenter

I'm getting all confused when looking at job postings. The state school jobs require you to complete the standard council teaching application form that asks you to fill in a section addressing the person specification. Most job postings specifically say not to send anything other than the standard application form - so do I write a covering letter or not?

Thanks!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would have thought a simple covering letter, even if only saying little more than 'I have great pleasure in enclosing my application for xxx post at your school' would show your awareness of courtesy and manners and show it is not just a 'blanket application'.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, I wouldn't say that most job postings say that you shouldn't send anything else.

But if they do say that, then you mustn't of course.

And you need to be clear what you mean by a covering letter. Do you mean the sort of thing that @Lara mfl 05 mentions above? Or do you mean a letter of application?

Letter of application for a teaching job

Best wishes

kristinh likes this.