1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need to stop taking iron tablets for my blood test tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Coolgiraffe, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

I'm going to have my blood taken tomorrow in preparation for my 6 week postnatal check the week after because I was put on 3 iron tablets a day after giving birth.
    Should I keep taking them today so they are in my system for my blood test or not take any today?
    Can't find a straight answer anywhere!
    Cheers, xxx

2. Coolgiraffe

I'm going to have my blood taken tomorrow in preparation for my 6 week postnatal check the week after because I was put on 3 iron tablets a day after giving birth.
    Should I keep taking them today so they are in my system for my blood test or not take any today?
    Can't find a straight answer anywhere!
    Cheers, xxx

3. Hi cg. Don't know if you know me from winter babies 10/11 but I had and still have health issues. I would say keep taking the tablets as prescribed until you get the blood test results. Then you'll know what your levels are and you can decide with the doc to reduce the dose or stop all together. I took iron tablets from week 16 of pregnancy to 16 weeks post natal and was very glad to see the back of them! Take care

4. Coolgiraffe

Thank you! Yes i do remember you from winter babies! Hope you are doing well xxx
    Had my bloods done today and I did carry on taking the tablets so I expect they'll be telling me to continue for longer on them when I go back next week. Hope it's not 16 weeks though, I'm fed up of them already!!
    Take care xxx