1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need to self cert?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by musicmakestheworldgoround, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I have taken this week off work so far as I have been feeling terrible with maternity related sickness. I went to the doctors this morning and I have very low blood pressure so have been advised to rest and take Thursday and Friday off work too. Will I need to complete a self cert form for this week or not? I have in the past for wisdom tooth extraction but wasn't sure if it was the same for maternity related sickness.

Thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It depends what your school absence policy requires… and maybe what stage of pregnancy you are at...

If your doctor has advised you to rest, then I would communicate that to your head teacher and if queried, ask your doctor to certify the instruction informing them your employer requires medical certification.

Maternity related sickness absence should be recorded differently so that it cannot be used in any disciplinary proceedings for sickness absence.