1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need to let school know about medication?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by sarahlou2629, Dec 5, 2011.

1. To cut a long story short I
    have just been prescribed antidepressants by my GP. Reasons for this are both professional
    and personal – mainly personal. My school know about my problems at school, I
    have been honest with them and have asked for help, however they do not know
    about the problems in my personal life.
    I had counselling a few
    years ago but will not be doing so again for now, so will not need time off for
    appointments etc. My GP has warned me that I may experience some side effects
    (sickness, fatigue etc)
    So basically I just wondered if I need to let anyone at school
    know that I am taking AD? Be it the Head Teacher, OH or someone on the SLT? I’m
    not really sure what the ‘protocol’ is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!</font>
    <font size="3">

Many thanks

</font>

2. To cut a long story short I
    have just been prescribed antidepressants by my GP. Reasons for this are both professional
    and personal &ndash; mainly personal. My school know about my problems at school, I
    have been honest with them and have asked for help, however they do not know
    about the problems in my personal life.
    I had counselling a few
    years ago but will not be doing so again for now, so will not need time off for
    appointments etc. My GP has warned me that I may experience some side effects
    (sickness, fatigue etc)
    So basically I just wondered if I need to let anyone at school
    know that I am taking AD? Be it the Head Teacher, OH or someone on the SLT? I&rsquo;m
    not really sure what the &lsquo;protocol&rsquo; is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!</font>
    <font size="3">

Many thanks

</font>

3. Would you tell them if you were on thyroxine, beta blockers, warfarin? I'm not sure that they need to know.

4. Ok, thank you.
    I just wasn't sure if I had some kind of responsibility to tell them.
    Thank you for your prompt reply :)
    x

5. From the threads on here there seem to many teachers on ADs who are working, I'm sure someone will add their experience to your post. Hope they kick in soon without too many initial side effects.

6. I told head, really struggled with side effects at first, so was glad I did. But also knew she would be understanding - think it probably depends on the relationship you have with head. I also told another teacher who I was close to.

7. When I went back to work, I told the head of HR and she told my line managers for health and safety reasons but both respected my right to privacy and confidentiality and kept the information to themselves at my request ( I know they did because when I left the job, the Head of Faculty asked me if I was taking medication).