1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need to do a PGCE now?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Davman65, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Davman65

Davman65 New commenter

Hi all, I'm a 50 year old man in my final year of an English language and linguistics with TESOL BA (Hons) at the University of Sunderland. My goal is to live in Thailand, and I would like to teach at an international school which why I was thinking of doing a PGCE. Should I apply for a PGCE now? or should I get the two years teaching experience that international schools usually ask for? I was also wondering what type of PGCE would make me a more attractive candidate to a Thai international school?

2. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

Don't you need to have a degree in your subject to do a PGCE in England?

What subject would you be planning to teach? If its English, how would you be able to teach literature? How will you demonstrate to a PGCE interview panel that you have enough knowledge to do the job?

How will you get two years of teaching experience if you aren't qualified to work in a school? The two years' experience normally recommended on this forum is post-PGCE experience. It refers to the NQT year and then another year (or more) of experience to establish yourself in the role.

You will be aware that your degree qualifies you to teach EAP in tertiary education overseas. Why do you now want to do a PGCE?

What do you mean by 'type of PGCE'? Are you referring to the subject you would teach?

3. Davman65

Davman65 New commenter

I will have an English Language and Linguistics with TESOL degree as stated above. What subject would I teach? English of course! I could teach English literature since I am 5O years old and have probably read many more books than yourself, and many stylistic modules form part of my degree.
    The whole point of having QTS is that after a few years teaching in Thailand, it would make it a lot easier to renew my visa. The other point is QTS would make me more employable to international schools who tend to pay more money, as opposed to the 30k baht a month offered by rubbish jobs. I have no intention of staying in the UK. But if I had too, I would prefer to teach in further education or even prisons as opposed to secondary. My degree is combined subjects which means I study two subjects 50/50 instead of one.

4. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

But did you understand all the big words in your books? :)

Does the TESOL confer QTS? You would be looked at more favourably by international schools if you have a PGCE. You would be looked at even more favourably if you have NQT and other teaching experience. However, it is entirely possible to get a job overseas straight away and work towards a better position from within the country. There are no hard and fast rules about overseas employment (apart from immigration and visas!) but you seem to be clear on what you want so are in a good position to work towards it. Good luck.

agbak and sabrinakat like this.
  5. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

I'm sorry to disappoint you but there is more to studying and teaching English literature than reading books. Spelling may also come in handy. I suggest you find out more before applying for a PGCE if you don't want to waste your time.

I don't understand the thinking behind a PGCE application when you will soon be qualified to teach EFL/EAL up to university level. The British Council pay well and their jobs aren't rubbish.

clovispoint, TESOL doesn't confer QTS. Its nothing to do with the school system.